A van which hit pedestrians in Toronto swerved across four lanes to hit passers-by “deliberately”, witnesses have told Sky News. Ten people have died and 15 are injured – some critically – police in Canada have confirmed. Officers say they have arrested the driver of the van. He has been named as Alek Minassian, 25. Toronto’s police chief Mark Saunders said the motive is not yet known and the suspect was not on police files. Footage from the scene appears to show a man being arrested. Police were called just before 1.30pm local time (6.30pm in the UK) to the corner of Yonge Street and Finch Avenue, a busy area north of downtown Toronto, where the van mounted the pavement and hit pedestrians. Advertisement Witnesses have told Sky News the van was “fairly deliberately” hitting pedestrians and that the collision looked like it was “on purpose”. Henry Miller, who works from home for a bank in Toronto and lives in an apartment overlooking the street, said: “I heard a large amount of honking… and I stepped out on to the balcony to see what was causing the trouble and at this point I saw a lady lying on the floor… Read full this story
- Toronto van incident in which 10 pedestrians died appeared deliberate, say police
- Toronto van incident: what we know so far
- Loughton crash: Man arrested after car 'deliberately' hit pupils killing boy, 12
- 'I held his hand and told him to hold on…' Mother's desperate battle to save the life of schoolboy Harley Watson after finding the 12-year-old dying in the road after 'deliberate hit and run' outside his school
- Toronto man charged in 'horrific' van attack that killed 10 people
- 'This lady died in front of me': Toronto shocked into silence after van fatalities
- Police arrest man, 51, for murder after car 'deliberately' ploughs into children killing boy, 12, and injuring five outside Essex school - as officers probe links to earlier hit-and-run at nearby school
- Family of Russian billionaire killed in a mysterious Surrey car crash urge witnesses to come forward as they pay tribute to 'most amazing quiet and private man'
- San Francisco’s dangerous streets: where bicyclists and pedestrians get hit
- Shocking moment hit-and-run driver, 31, races at 90mph in a 30mph zone moments before killing French entrepreneur, 24, as he is jailed for ten years
Toronto van swerves across four lanes to 'deliberately' hit pedestrians - witnesses have 376 words, post on news.sky.com at April 24, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.