Salman Khan at court in Jodhpur. (Express photo)
A Mumbai court today cancelled a bailable arrest warrant against Bollywood star Salman Khan in the 2002 hit and run case, in which the Maharashtra government’s appeal against his acquittal is pending before the Supreme Court.
Earlier this month, the court had issued the warrant against the actor for not furnishing the surety as per the directions of the apex court.
Khan, 52, today appeared before Additional Sessions Judge M G Deshpande and completed all the formalities of furnishing the surety, after which the court cancelled the warrant.
In February this year, he had approached the apex court seeking discharge of his surety given by his former publicist Reshma Shetty, stating that he wanted to replace it with the surety of his bodyguard Shera alias Gurmeet Singh Jolly.
The top court, which is hearing the appeal filed against his acquittal in the case by the state government, had allowed his plea on February 23. He was asked to comply with the process.
The sessions court had issued two notices to Khan this year – once on March 5, which was received by his father, and another one on March 16.
In December 2015, the Bombay High Court acquitted Khan of all criminal charges for lack of substantial evidence. He was acquitted seven months after the sessions court held him guilty.
The actor was accused of running his car over some persons sleeping on the pavement in suburban Bandra in 2002. One person died in the mishap. The trial court had awarded him a five-year jail term.
A court in Jodhpur had on April 5 sentenced the actor to five years in jail for killing a black buck in 1998.
On April 7, Khan walked out of the Jodhpur jail, where he spent two nights, after a sessions court here granted him bail in the case.
- Philippine president’s fiercest critic posts bail after being arrested
- This week in court: Burglars caught red-handed and a cannabis grower
- Campaigner threatens to 'hit city mayor where it hurts'
- 'Criminalizing Journalism': Warrant Issued For Pakistani Journalist
- Here's all the latest news from the courts
- Court employees cash in on merit bonuses
- Warrants issued for on-the-run hit team behind Daithi Douglas 'execution'
- Warrant issued for arrest of woman who previously assaulted a paramedic and police officers in Norwich
- The 12 people who have been in court in Hull this week
- Grandad fights extradition over 'running £60million Mafia-style timeshare con'
- Accused kidnapper Brian Cruz appears in court
- Man jailed after hit and run which one left cyclist paralysed and two others, including Bourne man, seriously injured
- Speedboat victim’s mum reveals she fainted when she identified daughter’s body – as parents slam ‘cowardly’ killer who went on run
- AG hopefuls field questions from Guam Bar Association
- Servicemen past and present join to cleanup Veterans Cemetery
- Trial for prison murder pushed back
- Public school parents rush to get last-minute student supplies
- Island grieves loss of Xavier Akima
- Rescue units, volunteers recover body of missing teen Xavier Akima
- Heavy showers expected through Friday
Salman Khan hit-and-run case: Mumbai court cancels arrest warrant against the actor have 514 words, post on indianexpress.com at April 21, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.