by David Ottlinger ___ Resistance. It is a concept many people now use to describe their politics. It is regrettable more people have not thought on what it means. It is worth noting, for instance, that the concept is inherently reactive. By declaring themselves part of “The Resistance,” the Resistors implicitly state that they feel besieged by some alien force, which they intend to resist. Noting this, of course, does not make resistance wrong or unreasonable. But in the inherently reactive nature of resistance lies a danger. The danger is that resistance will become reflexive, instinctual, impulsive, and unreflective. The danger is that resistors will, by acting automatically, embrace self-defeating methods and miss strategic opportunities. The danger, in short, is mindlessness. In the present essay I want to capture two things. The first is the mindlessness of much of the resistance to Trump as it is currently conducted. It is not monolithic, but I believe it is fair to say that there is a message which The Resistance, as a whole, consistently espouses. It is that message I wish to criticize. Secondly I will sketch some of the features that I believe a more effective resistance must have. In doing… Read full this story
- Strengthening Vietnam-Czech Republic traditional friendship and multifaceted cooperation
- Czech Republic’s National Day celebrated in HCM City
- Czech Republic’s National Day marked in HCM City
- Ho Chi Minh City fosters ties with Czech Republic
- Czech Republic: The Door for Vietnam to Enter the EU
- Vietnamese master wins gold in int’l chess competition
- Vietnam Film Festival 2107 marks new changes to win audiences
- Mike Pompeo picked as US Secretary of State
- Observance of int’l laws fundamental to security, peace: Defense Minister
- Observance of int’l laws fundamental to security, peace: Defence...
Mindful of the Republic have 295 words, post on theelectricagora.com at April 11, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.