Los Angeles officials are going forward with a $40,000-a-mile program to coat public streets to fight climate change, despite the city’s many financial challenges — including a $73 million budget shortfall for dealing with the ever-expanding homeless population. The program uses a light-colored sealant to cover the streets, which decreases the pavement temperature of so-called “heat-islands,” according to media reports.Fox News reported (original links): The LA Street Services began rolling out the project last May, which preliminary testing shows has reduced the temperature of roadways by up to 10 degrees. The project involves applying a light gray coating of the product CoolSeal, made by the company GuardTop. “CoolSeal is applied like conventional sealcoats to asphalt surfaces to protect and maintain the quality and longevity of the surface,” according to the company website. “While most cool pavements on the market are polymer based, CoolSeal is a water-based, asphalt emulsion.”Last year, the L.A. Daily News reported on the high cost of the project — and that local officials approved it nonetheless. The morning temperature of the black asphalt in the middle of a nearby intersection read 93 degrees. The new light gray surface on Jordan Avenue read a cool 70 — on what… Read full this story
- California’s blackouts could make fighting climate change even harder
- To fight climate change, car-loving California must overhaul transportation. Can it?
- Trump snipes at India on climate change with questionable facts
- Los Angeles has lined up record-cheap solar power. But there’s a problem
- Obama Takes on Climate Change: The Rolling Stone Interview
- New satellite measurements show how polluted Los Angeles’ air really is
- Climate change has become a health emergency
- La La Land locations: 10 of the best to visit in Los Angeles
- The best of Los Angeles: readers’ travel tips
- FOCUS ON CLIMATE CHANGE / A rocky laboratory of ecosystem science / FARALLON ISLANDS: Researchers study how warmer waters impact marine life habits
Los Angeles Dishing Out $40,000-a-Mile Street Coating to Fight Climate Change have 306 words, post on www.breitbart.com at April 17, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.