Avicii was an avatar as much as he was a producer. Exploding on to the scene in 2011 with his unabashedly saccharine hit Levels, the Swedish musician born Tim Bergling represented, depending on where one stood, either the best or worst of dance music’s rise in the United States. Just 21 years old at the time of his breakthrough, Bergling was perhaps an unlikely star. All cheekbones and platinum hair, he never seemed entirely comfortable in the spotlight. Friends and colleagues described him as shy and quiet, a sweet kid with the heart of a technician. In interviews, his responses could come off as canned or reticent, as reporters probed for answers from an artist seemingly more comfortable at his computer assembling tracks. But his music was a different story. Avicii was one of the first EDM stars to arrive on the scene fully formed, and he hit just as dance music was for the first time gaining mainstream popularity in the US. Discovered on MySpace by veteran Dutch producer Laidback Luke, Bergling took his name from the Buddhist term for hell, avīci, and began pumping out an arsenal of hits that quickly defined a burgeoning genre. Tracks including Levels,… Read full this story
- Stormzy condemns NME for using him as 'poster boy' for depression
- Mashup Poster Boy: John Herren
- Avicii's Family Releases Statement Saying The DJ 'Could Not Go On Any Longer'
- Here's a First Look at Will Smith and Martin Lawrence in 'Bad Boys for Life'
- 8-Year-Old Boy Followed, Robbed of Cellphone in Bronx: NYPD
- Power Struggles With Kids
- Insurer sent $33,000 to a man struggling with addiction. He used the cash to go on a binge -- and died
- NI businessman Stephen Bogan struggled with fatigue for months... only to find out he’d a genetic illness 'The Celtic Curse'
- Are you struggling with balance? It may be a sign of dyspraxia
- In Zimbabwe, climate change is fueling erratic harvests and farmers with HIV are struggling
Avicii: the poster boy for EDM who struggled with the spotlight have 328 words, post on www.theguardian.com at April 21, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.