You could soon fly from London to New York in just three and a half hours if this new Concorde-style plane takes to the skies.
Boom Supersonic has come up with a prototype for a plane able to travel at 1,687mph – and it could be testing its first flight as early as the end of this year.
The firm this week announced a 'milestone' engine delivery for the two-seater, known as XB-1, or 'Baby Boom'.
CEO Blake Scholl tweeted: 'Milestone coming up: XB-1 engines are on a truck and will arrive at @boomaero hangar within a week.'
The 'Baby Boom' jet has been designed to test the firm's supersonic technology, meaning it could take passengers from London to New York in just 3.5 hours.
The XB-1 prototype, backed by Sir Richard Branson, was created by top aviation experts with collective experience working at Nasa, SpaceX and Boeing.
If the full-size plane is approved, the first passengers could be travelling at supersonic speeds within the next five years.
But it will come at a price.
According to estimates, tickets could cost as much as $2,500 (£1,700).
The Boom test jet comes 15 years after the last Concorde flight and is expected to be at least 30 times quieter than Concorde's sonic boom.
The firm estimates that the fares for the aircraft would also be 75% lower than Concorde's due to its better fuel efficiency and would be 100mph faster.
The company's website says the XB-1 will 'refine our design and engineering, test key supersonic technologies, and ensure efficiency, safety, and reliability'.
It has confirmed that Virgin Galactic and Japan Airlines will operate the aircraft, with Japan Airlines investing £7 million ($10 million) in Boom Supersonic in December 2017.
Five airlines are currently interested in purchasing 76 of Boom's 55-seater jetliners, but they have not been named.
In a statement issued in December, founder and CEO Blake Scholl said: 'We've been working with Japan Airlines (JAL) behind the scenes for over a year now.
'JAL's passionate, visionary team offers decades of practical knowledge and wisdom on everything from the passenger experience to technical operations.
'We're thrilled to be working with JAL to develop a reliable, easily-maintained aircraft that will provide revolutionary speed to passengers.
'Our goal is to develop an airliner that will be a great addition to any international airline's fleet.'
Sign Up for News Updates
Get your need-to-know latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and more
Not convinced? Find out more »
- Photo of 30 brave Georgia healthcare workers flying to New York to help with the coronavirus outbreak gets praise – as cases in the state soar to nearly 60,000
- Coronavirus: Mass General Doctor Predicts State Will Soon Look Like New York
- MGH Surgeon Predicts Coronavirus In Massachusetts Will Soon Look Like New York
- Patriots owner Robert Kraft sends 300,000 N95 masks to New York on a team truck after flying in 1.2million from China to address shortages in Massachusetts and Rhode Island
- Dancing in the dark: celebrating New York's Giuliani-era clubbing speakeasy
- FEMA sends EMTs and paramedics to New York City to help amid coronavirus crisis
- NYC's virus death toll rises 222 in ONE DAY while its cases soar past 30,000, coronavirus epicenter New York State records 827 dead and Gov. Cuomo overturns hospital policy making pregnant women give birth ALONE
- New York's coronavirus pandemic could peak in 10 days: ER visits start to decrease despite rising death toll - and state cases level off - as experts say the city could soon 'turn the corner' and 'mitigation is working'
- Coronavirus Update: New York Approved To Test For Virus
- New York continues to record highest number of daily deaths from COVID-19
- New York hospitals are being charged up to 15 TIMES normal prices by suppliers for medical equipment during the coronavirus pandemic
- Surgeon general says US on course to be ‘worse than Italy’ as New York record 100 deaths in ONE DAY
- Love on the line: Australian groom and his American bride ditch their wedding plans and tie the knot via livestream in New York's Central Park because his family couldn't be there - and now 16,000 people have watched their vows
- Two hundred die from coronavirus in a DAY in New York state: Gov Andrew Cuomo reveals soaring death toll as announces some hospitals will ONLY cater to coronavirus patients
- Mark Leckey: the raving artist goes large at MoMA PS1 in New York
- The coronavirus map of New York City where one person dies of coronavirus every nine minutes: Queens and Brooklyn are hot spots in analysis of proportion of tests that come back positive in each borough
- Nobel Prize-winning scientist claims coronavirus outbreaks in New York and Italy are finally SLOWING
- Why It’s So Hard to Stop Being Homeless in New York
- New York records 177 coronavirus deaths in 24 hours, bringing state total to 457 as the number of infections jump to more than 39,000
- Now Florida is setting up border checkpoints to screen travelers from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut and get them to quarantine
You could soon fly from London to New York in just three hours at 1,687mph have 905 words, post on metro.co.uk at March 22, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.