A recent investigation by the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) has found that the world’s most popular illegal movie site is being operated from Vietnam.
123movies (or GoMovies under a different domain name) attracts 98 million visitors a month, said Jan van Voorn, executive vice president & chief of Global Content Protection at the MPAA.
The MPAA is in Vietnam as part of a global campaign to deal with illegal movie sites. According to Voorn, the association’s goal is to support legitimate markets and businesses, while at the same time dealing with illegal outlets.
“There are more services like this [123movies] – sites that are not helpful for local legitimate businesses,” said Voorn, who is working with local authorities to tackle the problem.
The number of legal movie and music sites in Vietnam has increased in recent years, with popular music sites like Zing Mp3 and Nhaccuatui (My Music) requiring users to pay to download, and the recent launches of Netflix and Spotify.
“But as the legal sites develop, so do the illegal ones,” Voorn said.
The top five most accessed movie sites in Vietnam, as per data from analytics website SimilarWeb, have all the latest Hollywood releases, but do not indicate whether the rights have been bought from the producers.
Concerning recent incidents of livestreaming movies from theaters, Voorn said that this is not only a matter of legitimate ownership.
“Education is necessary. Changing perceptions takes a long time,” he said. “Vietnamese people need to understand that making a movie is not free of charge, companies have to pay a lot to bring these works to the audience,” Voorn explained.
Voorn also suggested that authorities need to remove existing illegal film sites in Vietnam and ensure that only legal content is available in the market.
- Police Take Down Pirated Movie Streaming Websites in Thailand
- German news agency spotlights most attractive tourist sites in Vietnam
- Scotland’s historic sites reopen
- Peter Pan & Wendy: Story, Release Date and Cast for Live-Action Disney+ Movie
- What to Watch Before Taking a Disney World Vacation in the Magic Kingdom
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES JUNE 5
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JUNE 3
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JUNE 2
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES JUNE 10
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES JUNE 7
- The Best Studio Ghibli Movies on HBO Max | Digital Trends
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES APRIL 28
- The Best Movies and Shows on Shudder | Digital Trends
- Sun Group, Doppelmayr and the Untold Story of the World’s Longest Cable Car Routes
- ‘Red tourism’ getting popular in China
- The 50 Best Gangster Movies of All Time
- World Environment Day: Vietnam preserving Mekong Delta’s ecosystem
- Preacher Duo Take on Walking Dead Creator's Invincible Movie
- 'Wonder Woman' is the DC superhero movie we've been waiting for
- Mindy Kaling's Velma Is an East Asian Mystery Solver in a World Without Scooby-Doo
World's most popular pirate movie site being run from Vietnam have 448 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at March 14, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.