Wendy Wheeler rides a Ford GoBike from her Rockridge home to her office in downtown Oakland every day. On Valentine’s Day, the ride almost turned deadly. At around 7:30 a.m., Wheeler unlocked a bike from the docking station at Cavour Street and Shafter Avenue. She adjusted the seat and slung her bag into the front basket. As Wheeler pedaled into the intersection, a car wheeled through a stop sign right in front of her. Wheeler squeezed her brakes. Nothing. If she had been in the car’s lane, there would’ve been a collision. Shaken, Wheeler returned to the docking station for another bike. “Come to find out, every single bike had the brakes broken,” she said. “It was a full rack. Every single bike.” Even some tires had been slashed. Not cool. If this was someone’s idea of a protest, they took it way too far. Some people have seen the bike docks sprouting in neighborhoods as a symbol of gentrification since they were introduced to the Bay Area in July. There are no bikes east of High Street in East Oakland. “You’re impacting potential rider safety and potentially life,” Wheeler, 50, said of the vandalism. “It’s one thing if you… Read full this story
- Home's residents put 'at serious risk'
- Police emails put teenager 'at risk'
- Biking in Luxembourg
- Hapless motorist puts lives at risk by driving the WRONG way down M1
- Hull Live: Breaking news from Hull and East Yorkshire on March 6
- Old Street cycle safety protest: ‘We’ve seen three women lose their legs – we don’t want any more delays’
- Extinction Rebellion live updates: Activists glue themselves to Jeremy Corbyn's home
- Ignoring bike box road markings could land drivers a fine and points
- Councillor’s ‘fatality’ fears over South Shields bike stunt kids
- Trying to keep up with the Kardashians: The real lives of Irish micro-influencers
Putting riders’ lives at risk is not an OK way of protesting bike shares have 308 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at March 15, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.