South Dakota State has its first national championship in Division I athletics. Seth Gross won the 133-pound wrestling title at the Division I championships Saturday night in Cleveland, defeating Michigan’s Stevan Micic 13-8 to complete a spectacular season and atone for last year’s runner-up finish, in which he lost by a single point. Feature: Redemption on the mat: South Dakota State’s Seth Gross makes good on second chance Gross was ranked No. 1 in the country at 133 all year, with his only loss coming when he moved up a weight class to challenge 141-pounder Bryce Meredith of Wyoming. Meredith finished as the runner-up this year at 141. The Wolverines’ Micic came in ranked second in the country at 133, so despite Gross’s season-long dominance, victory was not a given. But Gross was on his game from the whistle. He scored a two-point takedown just seconds into the match and immediately went to work building an advantage in riding time. When he scored a 4-point near fall just before the end of the first, Gross had a commanding 6-0 lead. Micic earned a takedown early in the second to make it 7-2 going to the third, and an arm injury… Read full this story
- No. 17 South Dakota women roll past Oral Roberts in Summit
- Months-long Dakota Access pipeline protest tops year in news
- N. Dakota meets NDSU in Summit League finals
- Ward carries ND St. over S. Dakota St. 71-69 in OT
- The Latest: Shiffrin misses, Hansdotter wins gold on Day 7
- High school girls basketball players of the year in all 50 states
- Simulating the 2020 NCAA Tournament: Who would be the real national champion?
- High school basketball players of the year in all 50 states
- High school state tournaments, postseason showcases canceled, spring suspended amid coronavirus concerns
- Women's college basketball rankings: South Carolina finishes No. 1, Oregon No. 2 in final AP Top 25
NCAA Wrestling Championships: Seth Gross wins first D-I title for South Dakota State have 302 words, post on www.argusleader.com at March 16, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.