THIS is the moment Ant McPartlin arrived home after ten hours in police custody following his alleged drink-drive arrest.
The presenter failed a roadside breathalyser test and allegedly became “agitated and argumentative” with the policewoman as she arrested him on suspicion of drink-driving.
Witnesses said the 42-year-old looked dazed following the collision, with one adding: “Ant looked like his world had just ended.”
Ant got back home at 2.40am following a lengthy spell with cops after his arrest.
The star could be seen opening up the door to his home as the media waited outside.
It was thought Ant’s car had veered into the wrong lane after coming round a sharp bend on Lower Richmond Road, South West London, and hit a green Mini — then crashed into a BMW X5.
Less than 24 hours earlier, he had been performing with telly partner Declan Donnellyon ITV’s Takeaway show.
Police said a child passenger from one of the cars involved in the smash was taken to hospital to be checked as a precaution.
THE SHOW MUST GO ON: Ant will not be banned from travelling for show finale
ANT McPartlin will not be banned from travelling to America for the Saturday Night Takeaway finale.
Fans feared the live show at Universal Studios in Orlando, Florida, on April 7 could be under threat following the presenter’s drink-driving arrest.
But US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) rules mean the 42-year-old would not be banned even if he was convicted of drink-driving.
The CBP states: “The U.S. does not deny entry to persons with a ‘Driving Under the Influence’ (DUI) conviction, although if there are multiple convictions for this and or other misdemeanours, you could be denied entry.”
Ant would already need an non-immigrant working visa to record the show in the United States.
Arrests and cautions only automatically affect Brits travelling to the US under the Visa Waiver Programme – which cannot be used by foreign media – and require them to apply for a visa.
A Metropolitan Police spokesperson said: “Police in Richmond were called to Lower Richmond Road, SW14 at 15:59hrs on Sunday, 18 March following reports of a road traffic collision involving three vehicles.
“Officers, London Ambulance Service and London Fire Brigade attended.
“A number of individuals were treated at the scene for minor injuries only.
“A child passenger from one of the cars has been taken to hospital for a check up as a precaution.
“A 42-year-old man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of drink-driving after failing a roadside breathalyser test.
“He has been taken to a south London police station for questioning. Enquiries continue.”
Witness Jake Spencer said the Saturday Night Takeaway presenter rowed with officers as they tried to put him in a police car after he failed a breath test at the crash scene.
He added: “Ant looked in a right state and was acting argumentatively toward a policewoman.
“I couldn’t believe it when I saw who it was.
“The woman was trying to arrest him and get him in the police car but he clearly wasn’t having it.
“He was not making it easy for her and he seemed to be trying to wriggle out of her clutches. He was not in a good way.
“Eventually she got him in the police car. There were about six or seven police cars in total.”
Speaking to The Sun at the time about his addictions, he revealed that he grew into the habit of using dangerous cocktails of drugs washed down with alcohol to get him through gruelling work commitments following knee surgery.
He said: “I want to thank my wife, family and closest friends for helping me through this really difficult time.
“I’ve spoken out because I think it’s important that people ask for help if they’re going through a rough time and get the proper treatment to help their recovery.”
He added: “I was at the point where anything — prescription drugs, non-prescription drugs — I would take.
“And take them with alcohol, which is ridiculous. The doctors told me, ‘You could have killed yourself’. ”
Ant said: “The great thing is I spoke to a lot of the medical team and I’m not an alcoholic. I was just drinking too much to numb the pain.
“It was never crazy — I wouldn’t wake up in the morning and have a drink. But it was the mixing pills with alcohol that was deadly.
“I’ve taken a little break from booze — I’ve done two months and I’ll do a little bit longer.
“But I’m looking forward to having a pint. God, yes!
“I can’t go to Australia and not have a cold one at the surf club with Dec like we normally do.
“That’s something to look forward to but I have to get well first.”
ANT’S NIGHTMARE: Months of pain and hell of drugs
THE crash comes after a nightmare few months for ITV’s golden boy Ant, writes Jack Ling.
In August he told The Sun On Sunday how he checked into rehab to kick his addiction to Tramadol — the painkiller he got hooked on after a botched knee operation.
Ant said he knew he needed help after wife Lisa had to rush him to hospital at 5am when he tried to dull his pain with a mix of Tramadol, morphine and alcohol.
He said: “I was at the point where anything, prescription drugs, non-prescription drugs.
“And take them with alcohol, which is ridiculous. The doctors told me ‘You could have killed yourself’.”
Then in January Ant revealed he was splitting with wife Lisa Armstrong, a Strictly Come Dancing make-up artist.
A source told of the “eight months” of strain his drug use had put on their marriage, adding separation would be “the right thing for his health.”
But the split was bitter. with Lisa being said to have to “liked” back-biting posts about the Geordie star on Twitter.
And the estranged couple prepared for a custody struggle over their beloved dog Hurley.
Ant, who could have to pay Lisa a settlement of around £30 million, drove his Range Rover into a tree after walking the black Labrador in Richmond last month.
The Sun also revealed how Lisa had been axed from Ant and Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway over the divorce battle.
Insiders said bosses feared her presence could be “difficult.”
One added: “It’s a very sensitive situation.”
An eyewitness to yesterday’s crash, Amy Cassie, 23, said: “Ant seemed furious after crashing the car and was shouting at his mum who was also in the car. She was trying to get him to calm down.
“The police took him to the back of the police car to remove him from the situation.
“The couple in the green Mini were really shaken up and their child, who was a girl, could only have been about three years old.
“Ant and his mum didn’t seem to have any injuries, but the mum in the green car had split her lip and the side of her face was very red.”
Motorcyclist Nicholas McNicol said: “I came on the scene moments after it happened and he was being escorted to the police car to be put in the back.
“Everyone was in a state of shock at who it was.
“I was driving past very slowly and Ant looked straight at me and I thought he looked tired. I was only about 3ft from him.
“His eyes looked very heavy and he had a solemn face — it looked like his world had just ended.
“He was the only one being put in a police car.
“One of the Minis had obviously come straight across the road because it was facing the wrong way.”
A third witness, who lives nearby, said: “I was at home when I heard a huge bang outside which was so loud I thought it was a train crash.
“There’s a level crossing nearby and I genuinely thought a train had wiped out a car.
“I went to see if anyone needed help. As soon as I opened my front door I heard the horn of a car blaring non-stop and ran towards the sound.
“Near a bend in the road there were two badly damaged Minis which looked as though they’d collided and a BMW X5 — and people wandering around in shock.
MOST READ IN NEWS
PM hands pay rises to 900,000 frontline workers including teachers and police
Chilling moment panicked woman darts to relative’s home as man follows her
Road-rage cyclist who screamed at pregnant driver says ‘I’m NOT the bad guy’
Putin sees UK as a ‘top target’ & gov ‘underestimated threat’, says damning report
Princes Harry and William face probe into ‘misuse of £300k of charity money’
‘KING OF SHEFFIELD’
Bare-knuckle fighter dad-of-nine dies on Majorca holiday aged 49
The arrest is the latest in a string of blows for I’m A Celebrity star Ant.
After his rehab stint, which was revealed by The Sun On Sunday, Ant announced he was divorcing wife Lisa, 41, after 11 years of marriage.
Legal experts say the break-up could cost him £30million.
- Ant McPartlin and Declan Donnelly break into a victory dance on Britain’s Got Talent audition stage after winning 18th consecutive NTA
- Britain’s Got Talent judges in tears over kids’ performance as girl tells Ant McPartlin she ‘missed him’
- Adama Traoré's death in police custody casts long shadow over French society
- I'm A Celebrity 2019: Caitlyn Jenner appears to CONFIRM she's heading into the jungle as she touches down in Australia an hour after Ian Wright... after the show's line-up is leaked
- Craftsman survives high-speed crash during desperate journey through smoke
- Police officer charged with murder over teen's shooting death in Yuendumu will plead not guilty
- At least five dead and 60 injured in a horror crash involving a tour bus, trucks and several cars on the Pennsylvania Turnpike
- Cleveland 'kidnapper' Ariel Castro told police he was a cold-blooded sex addict who could not control his impulses
- PICTURED: Two UPS drivers and bus passenger among five killed in horror Pennsylvania Turnpike crash
- PICTURED: Luann De Lesseps handcuffed in court and taken into custody after violating her probation by testing positive for alcohol, with judge now ordering her to take an abuse medication
- Homeward bound! British tourist, 19, arrives for flight to UK after getting suspended sentence for gang-rape lie as she vows to clear her name after Cyprus president failed to pardon her
- Downcast Queen arrives for church at Sandringham as Prince Charles makes a flying visit to Oman ahead of tomorrow's royal showdown over Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's decision to quit duties - after Wills revealed sadness at the 'broken bond'
- Queen gives courtiers 72 hours to seal deal with 'hopeful' Meghan Markle and Prince Harry: Monarch demands blueprint which can also apply to Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis
- Hundreds caught in Vietnam's new drunk driving dragnet
- The Queen 'backs' Prince Andrew and 'believes him 100 per cent': Her Majesty heads out for a ride at Windsor Castle as her family reels from her son's 'car crash' interview - but aides say he WON'T be forced to scale back royal duties
- Boozy woman, 20, begged men for ‘mile-high club’ sex before biting crew in four-hour rampage on Eithad flight
- Writer’s harrowing nine-day hunt to find the dog that saved her life from drink and drugs
- New drunk driving fines to slow beer market growth
- Thousands flee their homes and flights are suspended as Philippine volcano belches plumes of steam and ash half a mile into the sky at tourist hotspot
- Gatwick live updates: Police arrest man, 47, and woman, 54, over drone chaos as flights resume
Moment Ant McPartlin arrives home at 2.40am after being in police custody for ten hours over ‘drink-drive crash’ have 2056 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at March 19, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.