“Someone’s shooting up the school at Stoneman Douglas.”These were the first panicked words over the phone from a student when a gunman entered his Florida high school on Valentine’s Day.The 911 responder replied: “I’m sorry, I can’t hear you. What’s happening?””Someone’s shooting up Marjory Stoneman Douglas.””Someone is doing what? Hello? Hello? Hello?”The student is whispering now: “Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School is being shot up.””It’s being shot up? Are you at the school?” The caller whispers something.”I can’t hear you,” says the responder. “Are you at the school?”There’s a pause. Then the caller hangs up.The day everything changedThat Valentine’s Day, the lives of 3,300 Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School pupils in Parkland, Florida, changed forever.The shooter killed 17 people. Others are still fighting for their lives in hospital. It’s become an almost unremarkable event in modern America: This was already the sixth school shooting of 2018 in the US. How the attack happened Six ways to tackle US school shootings But this time was different. Because instead of just accepting it for part of daily life, this group of 16, 17 and 18-year-olds decided that guns were tearing apart communities and that too many innocent people were dying. This is… Read full this story
- EXCLUSIVE: Former Mrs. Florida, who was sent to prison for stealing her dying mother's social security checks, dishes on her 30-day stint, revealing the women's unique mode of gossip, homemade sex toys and cell orgies
- Watch: Anderson Cooper Berates Donald Trump for Playing Golf, Tweeting During Florida Shooting Victims' Funerals
- Trump Reportedly Asked Pals At Mar a Lago What To Do On Gun Control After Florida Shooting
- Canada, U.S. extend border restrictions 30 days to control coronavirus spread
- Texas judge’s 30-day coronavirus mask order blasted as 'ultimate government overreach'
- AdventHealth to Offer Drive-Up COVID-19 Testing for 30 Days at Adventure Island, Busch Gardens’ Waterpark
- Trump clamps limits on travel from Europe to US for 30 days
- Montana judge suspended 30 days without pay for misconduct
- US-Canada border restrictions extended for another 30 days
- Armchair fans can now start counting down the days to the return of sport
Florida shooting: How teenagers started a political campaign in 30 days have 354 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at March 19, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.