It’s no secret Amazon wants to keep shoppers on their platform. With services like Prime Instant Video and Prime Music on offer alongside a recent slew of products coming from Amazon’s acquisition of Whole Foods, it’s clear the company wants to become their customers’ one-stop shop for entertainment and shopping.
To reinforce this goal, it seems Amazon may be expanding their reach into the financial sector. According to a Wall Street Journal report, the online retailer is considering launching their own branded checking account aimed at younger individuals and “those without a bank account.” The move could reduce or eliminate Amazon’s current need to pay banking partners and payment processors to handle transactions.
To be clear, this does not mean the retailer will be opening up their own bank. Rather, Amazon is considering partnering up with the likes of JPMorgan and Capital One to create a “hybrid-type” checking account for customers.
Amazon is considering partnering up with the likes of JPMorgan and Capital One to create a “hybrid-type” checking account for customers.
The benefits of such an account for Amazon’s current customers are unclear at the moment but product discounts, faster payment processing and the potential elimination of standard checking account maintenance fees all seem like distinct possibilities.
As enticing as an Amazon-branded checking account may sound to some, there’s no guarantee the retailer will follow through with their current plans. Indeed, as WSJ notes, Walmart’s attempts to obtain a banking license many years ago fizzled out quickly when competitors and lawmakers opposed the move. It’s possible Amazon may face similar challenges to their business expansion down the line.
- Vietnam Air offers online check-in
- Grant Thornton, RMA offer brand evaluation
- VNPT begins offering prepaid phone service
- Vietnam Airlines offers online check-in
- Bankers to begin offering car loans
- Amazon leaps into home entertainment fray with $99 Fire TV
- Tesco enters battle for current accounts
- Auto shops can check Toyota cars
- Dak Lak checks food production
- Bank to offer more services to consumers
- EBay lures big retailers in Amazon battle
- Retailers brace as Amazon launches in Australia
- iPad mini vs Google Nexus 7 vs Amazon Kindle Fire HD
- Amazon to win EU e-book pricing tussle with Apple
- Rocket's Lazada gets $100 mln in bid to be Southeast Asia's Amazon
- Amazon snaps up live video startup Twitch for $970 million
- 10 brands associated with Vietnamese over two centuries
- Joy Covey, Amazon CFO During IPO, dies in bicycling crash at 50
- Amazon and Barnes & Noble battle for e-book lovers
Amazon may begin offering branded checking accounts have 404 words, post on www.techspot.com at March 5, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.