Last night picture sharing app Snapchat rolled out a major update, which has left some users confused and frustrated about how to use it.
The layout of the app has been totally changed, and it is now made up of three sections Friends, Discover and Stories.
One of the main reasons for the changes is to attract new users, and to also separate friends’ posts from media content.
A spokesperson for Snapchat said: “Updates as big as this one can take a little getting used to, but we hope the community will enjoy it once they settle in.”
Here’s how to use the new version:
Where can I find Stories and how can I watch them?
To view your friend’s Stories you will need to go to the newly created Friends page, which you can access when you swipe right after opening up the app.
If they have uploaded a story you will see a circular preview bubble to the left of their name. Tap it to view.
The order in which you view Stories is also different, instead of it being chronological like it used to be, the Friends page ranks your contacts “based on who you keep in touch with the most and who’s contacted you most recently”, Snapchat says.
Therefore, the easiest way to find someone’s Story – who isn’t one of your top friends – is to type their name into the search bar at the top of the page.
After you have watched one friend’s Story you will automatically see a preview of another friend’s, you have the option to view it, or you can choose to skip it by swiping down.
How can I send messages and individual snaps to people?
This feature can also be found on the Friends page – here as well as Stories, you’ll find messages, group chat and Snaps sent to you by others.
The decision to put all these features on one page has caused much confusion to its users because it’s not as straightforward to see where all the app’s features are or even how to access them.
How can I upload a Story?
To upload your own Story tap the Snapchat logo at the top left corner of the main camera screen. You can also use this icon to add new friends, create a Bitmoji, see how many people have viewed your Story, or delete your upload.
What is the Discover page?
This is where you can view Stories from people you follow but aren’t your friends, e.g. celebrities.
The layout is made up of various ’tiles’ which you tap to view. This is also where you can find content from publishers such as Buzzfeed and Geekly.
To see less of content you don’t like, tap and hold a tile and hit ‘See Less Like This’ or ‘Unsubscribe’ to remove it from your feed.
- Snapchat update adds over 100,000 new filters TODAY – here’s how to find them
- Snapchat update scrapped? Some users say controversial redesign has DISAPPEARED
- Is Snapchat Fixed? App Redesign Rolling Out Now for iOS, but What Is Changing and How to Get the New Updates?
- Snapchat Update: New Voice Recognition Lenses
- Snapchat Update: What Are Snapchat Friendship Profiles, Bitmoji Stories?
- Instagram Update: What Are 'Close Friends' On Instagram? How to Use New Story Sharing Feature
- Snapchat Dog Filter, App Updates Lenses for Dogs, How to Get, Use New Feature
- Snapchat promises update after outcry over redesign
- Snapchat nicks one of WhatsApp’s best features in latest update