As staff at more than 60 universities kick off a wave of strike action over proposed changes to pensions, one student fears her education could be compromised and another says students should stand in solidarity with lecturers. Georgia Davies, 21, who studies English and modern history at the University of St Andrews calls for students to be compensated.This week, strikes will begin at universities across the UK, affecting thousands of students and reducing their contact time and access to university facilities.My opposition is in the way that university students – time and time again – are being cheated by a system which is systematically unfair.For the 12 hours a week of contact time I receive, I pay a total of £9,250 a year – not including the exorbitant living costs, extra materials and travel to and from my home.The limited library resources, space and even assistance from admin staff means that value for money is poor at best, horrendous at worse.With the strikes, I will miss out on key learning; putting the nail in the coffin for this education being value for money, or even worth the price tag.Now students are facing a situation which means they will miss out… Read full this story
- No tuition fee rise for EU students starting university in NI
- Student On ‘Hunger Strike’ Until College Fires Professor Cleared Of Sexual Harassment Claims
- Black students at University of Pennsylvania receive racist group text messages
- ILS students wear black to condemn Jan 5 JNU violence
- £200-an-hour escort mum who smashed baby son's skull is awarded COMPENSATION
- Stanford students to protest against CAA, attack on Indian campuses
- What is better for job prospects: university or apprenticeships?
- Brandman University Begins New Year Ready to Build on High Graduation Rates
- AMU V-C meets students, regrets police action
- Student unions of NE universities call for class boycott against CAA
Compensation v solidarity: Students argue for and against university strikes have 308 words, post on news.sky.com at February 21, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.