West Ham United will not relish a replay against Shrewsbury Town, and not only because of the imposition on their schedule. The League One side proved vexing opponents for the Premier League strugglers, who never looked superior to Paul Hurst's team. Quite the contrary. "Shrewsbury were better so we're fortunate to still be in the Cup," said David Moyes, who did not try to dress up a performance devoid of class and even of more basic traits. "I don't think we showed any quality," he said. "The bigger thing and more disappointing thing for me was we didn't show enough steel. "When you come to these places you have to show you're up to it physically and you can battle and compete, but that was probably for me the worst thing about it. It's a mentality thing – you've got to show that whatever players you're up against you've got to recognise it's going to be tough whether it be Tottenham or Shrewsbury. For the first half especially, we didn't compete at all." Joe Hart, the only goalkeeper required to make any saves here, agreed Shrewsbury were superior. The England goalkeeper had hoped to make a triumphant return to the… Read full this story
- Leicester City smashes West Ham, loses Vardy
- FA Cup third-round replays preview: Manchester United, Wolves and Tottenham in action
- FA Cup round-up: Tottenham and Newcastle win, Shrewsbury set up Liverpool fourth-round tie
- Pep Guardiola to give Manchester City squad time off
- Leicester City: Brendan Rodgers has played down Jamie Vardy injury fears
- Gedson Fernandes joins Tottenham on 18-month loan
- Wilfred Ndidi astounds Leicester City boss Brendan Rodgers on his swift comeback from injury
- Gedson Fernandes: What will midfielder bring to Tottenham?
- Manchester City: rating every signing in 10 years of Abu Dhabi ownership
- Burnley 2-1 Leicester: Nick Pope saves Jamie Vardy penalty as Clarets break losing run
Shrewsbury take insipid West Ham to replay on Joe Hart’s return have 330 words, post on www.theguardian.com at January 7, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.