After a start to the season that has had some Bayern Munich fans clamoring for a big signing in the January transfer window, one that could eventually turn out to be a big one has already arrived in the Bavarian capital. After flying into Munich on Tuesday, Alphonso Davies, who just turned 18 earlier this month, underwent medical checks and took part in his first training session with his new club this Wednesday.
“My first impressions of the training ground were great,” Davies said in a video posted on Bayern Munich’s website. “As a kid I dreamed of being part of such a big club. Now I am and it’s unbelievable. .. I just want to work as hard as I can in training and hopefully get some games.”
Bayern’s sporting director, Hasan Salihamidzic, said Davies, for whom the Bundesliga club paid a reported fee of in excess of €10 million ($11.4 million) in the summer, would spend the next month training and getting settled in Munich.
“He’ll be part of the squad and available to play from 4 January. We’re excited about him,” Salihamidzic said. “I’m sure he’ll develop here at FC Bayern and help us. I wish him the best of luck and success.”
Davies, who was born to Liberian parents in a refugee camp in Ghana, moved with his family to Canada when he was five. He has scored three goals in nine appearances for Canada. Davies was a bright spot in a disappointing 2018 for Major League Soccer club Vancouver Whitecaps, scoring eight goals in 31 matches.
- These are the 20 best soccer players in the world, as ranked by the new “FIFA 19” video game
- On this Day, August 28 2006: Roy Keane signed his contract to officially start work as Sunderland manager
- How the Surprise New Interactive
- Kawhi Leonard to skip Olympic mini-camp, but DeMar DeRozan will be there
- 5 DeMar DeRozan quotes from his in-depth interview that will get Spurs fans excited
- Secrets of Howard Hughes' Attorney (Exclusive Book Excerpt)
- Your dog needs its own shower, right? Here are 12 cutting-edge items for your next home
- Blue State Blues: We’ve Lost to Socialists Before
- FIFA 19 demo out today as ratings for the 100 best players in the game are revealed
- European Soccer Draws Huge TV Ratings for Champions League Semifinals
- U.S. majors building biz, buzz in Germany
- TIFF 2015 Announces Documentaries, Vanguard, Midnight Madness, Masters of Cinema and Classics Lineups
- Dortmund versus Schalke: What you need to know about the fiercest rivalry in German football
- Hannibal star Hugh Dancy joins Rupert Everett’s Happy Prince
- GAA Videos: On This Day
- Baltic Event hands out five awards to best projects
- ‘I have been wearing a mask’
- Kim Kardashian plans to become lawyer — without going to college or law school
- Future electric cars: Upcoming battery-powered cars that will be on the roads within the next 5 years
- Future electric cars: The battery-powered cars that will be on the roads within the next 5 years
New Bayern signing Alphonso Davies arrives in Munich have 476 words, post on www.dw.com at January 21, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.