High-ranking officials from Ankara were due to hold talks with representatives of Germany’s Interior Ministry in Berlin on Wednesday, according to a report in Die Welt newspaper. The meeting — the first of its kind in almost a year — aimed to discuss efforts to fight the “Islamic State” terror group, the report said. “Germany is a point of origin and a destination for jihadi terrorists, whose journeys to and from Syria take them via Turkey,” an Interior Ministry spokeswoman told Die Welt . Read more : Germany and Turkey in 2017: a rollercoaster relationship She said Turkey had repeatedly been the target of “massive attacks by Islamist terrorists,” adding that there was still a very real “need to work in close cooperation with Turkey” to tackle terrorism. Read more: Are there signs of a thaw in icy Germany-Turkey relations? Years of tensions Security consultations between the two NATO allies had lapsed, mainly due to a deterioration in bilateral ties. The last such meeting was held in February last year when Chancellor Angela Merkel made a state visit to Turkey . Relations took a particular turn for the worse following a botched coup against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan in July 2016. The Turkish leader accuses Germany… Read full this story
- Germany's Merkel backs Turkish-led refugee initiative in Syria
- Young refugees relive experiences through poetry in Germany
- Rex Tillerson says US and Turkey have 'same goals' in Syria
- Hospital doctor, 75, 'gave unofficial medical advice to his elderly friends for 20 years then sent a BILL for 68 consultations to the couple's grieving family after they died'
- Dealing with persistent body ache, joint pain? Could be a sign of depression
- Weekly Horoscope, February 9-15, 2020: Check predictions for all zodiac signs
- Spotlight: Turkey seeks EU accession amid East Med dispute
- No Deal: EU-Turkey Migration Agreement 'Obviously Wouldn't Work'
- Horoscope Today, 3 February 2020: Check astrological prediction for Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer and other signs
- Horoscope Today, 2 February 2020: Check astrological prediction for Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer and other signs
Germany, Turkey to resume regular consultations in sign of thawing relations have 316 words, post on www.dw.com at January 17, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.