AUSTIN, Texas (AP) Iowa State coach Bill Fennelly enjoys Austin, which he regards as a nice city to visit. He didn’t necessarily look forward to his latest road trip, though.
Texas was blown out at Baylor by 25 points on Thursday, and Fennelly figured the Longhorns would be hungry for redemption.
He was right.
Ariel Atkins scored 15 points, Lashann Higgs added 14 and No. 6 Texas routed Iowa State 87-55 on Saturday night.
”We kind of saw this one coming a little bit,” said Fennelly, whose Cyclones beat Texas in Austin last season. ”That’s the sign of a good team.”
Texas coach Karen Aston thought having only one day off between games helped.
”Sometimes it is better to just get back on the horse and not go dwell on something that was that negative,” Aston said. ”We probably have to look back at it at some point, but I’m not sure when that will be. We need to keep moving forward.”
Aston might take a look at the Baylor game before Feb. 19, when the Bears play at Texas. For now, forward Audrey-Ann Caron-Goudreau said, ”We didn’t have time to cry or feel sorry for ourselves.”
Jatarie White and Caron-Goudreau, both 6-foot-4, and 6-3 Joyner Holmes contributed 12 points apiece as the bigger, more physical and athletic Longhorns outscored Iowa State 32-20 in the paint.
Holmes had a game-high 11 rebounds, leading Texas (16-4, 7-2 Big 12) to a 40-27 advantage in that category. Holmes often prefers working on the perimeter like a guard, but she maneuvered inside against Iowa State.
”I think it was just recognizing our matchups,” Holmes said. ”They had some smalls (players) on us.”
Emily Durr led Iowa State with 20 points, converting seven of 10 field-goal attempts, and Bridget Carleton added 19.
Texas used a 25-1 run against Iowa State bridging the first and second halves. The Cyclones (9-12, 3-7) went a span of 7:37 without a field goal.
”The physicality they play with, we just did not handle that from the opening tip,” Fennelly said. ”I told our kids, `You’re gonna see a team that is very motivated to play after the other night.’ Their defensive intensity was better than I’ve seen it in a long time.”
Iowa State: The Cyclones have endured a rough patch, losing seven of their last nine games. Part of that might be a function of the schedule. They are going through a stretch of five consecutive games against opponents ranked in the AP Top 25. They lost to Baylor and West Virginia before upsetting No. 19 Oklahoma State on Wednesday in Stillwater. They host No. 24 TCU on Tuesday.
Texas: Holmes, a sophomore, might have given her best performance of the season in 19 minutes. She has struggled since returning in late-December from a semester-long suspension for an unspecified violation of university rules. Holmes, an all-Big 12 player as a freshman, averaged 3.2 points and 4.1 rebounds in 12.6 minutes during her first nine games since the suspension was lifted. She hit only 24.5 percent of her shots from the field. Holmes committed six turnovers and missed several layups against Texas Tech.
Fennelly said only two Cyclones players made much of an effort in the game.
”Besides Bridget and Emily Durr, we didn’t have anyone else show up,” Fennelly said. ”With the exception of Bridget Carleton, I don’t think Karen is gonna want to trade any of her players for ours.”
Iowa State: hosts TCU on Tuesday in their first meeting of the season. They split two games last season, each winning at home.
Texas: at Kansas on Wednesday. The Longhorns have won 11 straight against the Jayhawks dating to 2013, including a 79-62 victory on Jan. 13 in Austin.
- Trump closes on Biden: Joe clings to slim leads in six swing states Arizona, Florida, Michigan, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin in final poll heading into Election Day
- The Donald's not done for yet: Trump has a SEVEN-point lead in vital swing state of Iowa according to the same late poll that showed he could win the White House in 2016
- Newt Gingrich tells Donald Trump and Senate Republicans to open 'investigations' into 'fraud' in states called for Joe Biden including Arizona echoing president's claims Democrats are 'stealing election'
- Matthew McConaughey reacts to Texas' upset win
- So much for the polls . . . again: Biden's predicted lead evaporates after shy-Trump voters emerge in their millions. But why DO people feel they can't admit to voting for the right?
- GOP holds line in state legislatures, dealing blow to Democrats
- The Hill's 12:30 Report - Presented by Facebook - Trump visits 5 swing states while Biden focuses on Pa., Ohio
- 2020 Election Live Updates: Nevada, Wisconsin tighten; Biden clings to hopes to turn handful of states
- 2020 Election Live Updates: Trump’s lead shrinking in Georgia as Atlanta count comes in
- 2020 Election Live Updates: Biden flips Arizona, moves red state to Democratic column
- 2020 Election Live Updates: Nevada, Michigan Wisconsin tighten; Biden clings to hopes to turn handful of states
- 2020 Election Live Updates: Nevada, Michigan, Wisconsin tighten; Biden clings to hopes to turn handful of states
- 2020 Election Live Updates: Trump goes to Supreme Court over Pennsylvania count, sues 3 hard-fought states
- 2020 Election Live Updates: Biden hangs on to Arizona lead, Trump goes to court over 4 battlegrounds
- BREAKING NEWS: Donald Trump and Joe Biden are neck-and-neck in Florida and OHIO as suburban voters desert the president amid record turnout - and both men win easily in loyalist states
- Pollster who predicted president's victory in 2016 says 'there are more shy Trump voters than last time' - casting doubt on polls that show Biden with a commanding lead
- Donald's not done for yet! Trump narrows gap to six points (51% - 45%) across twelve battleground states and raises prospect of a late upset despite being ahead by 10 points nationally
- BREAKING NEWS: Biden takes narrow lead in Wisconsin and Michigan after Trump declares VICTORY and says election process is a 'fraud': President vows to go to Supreme Court to stop late voting as Joe demands every ballot counts
- Full US election results – State-by-state winners and losers as Trump and Biden fight it out in nail biter election
- 13 battleground states to watch in the 2020 election
Atkins, Higgs lead No. 6 Texas past Iowa State 87-55 have 1011 words, post on www.foxsports.com at January 27, 2018. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.