It’s awards season baby, which is the annual tradition of the Illuminati converging to award tiny gold trophies to beautiful famous people and their art.
Today we’ve got the nominations for the Golden Globes. And while it might be the most entertaining award show to watch because the guests are actually served alcohol, it might not be the most in touch with what people actually saw in the theater or on their laptops/iPads/iPhones/Amazon Fire TV Stick this year.
Overall, Get Out was snubbed, racking up only two nominations in the Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy category and a Best Performance in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy nomination for lead actor Daniel Kaluuya. That means that Jordan Peele was left out of both the Best Screenplay and Best Director categories for film. And just look at how boring the director’s category is in general:
YAWWWWWWN. No Greta Gerwig either (though she did get a Best Screenplay nomination)? No Luca Guadagnino???
The films that got the most Golden Globes love this year are The Shape of Water (yes, the one with the sexy fish man) with seven nominations, The Post (Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep-flavored cat nip for awards voters) with six nominations, and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
As for the more surprising nominations I’d like to point out that Mariah Carey is nominated for Best Original Song for “The Star” from the animated film The Star. She’s been nominated for a Golden Globe once before for her The Prince of Egypt’s “When You Believe” also featuring Whitney Houston, which went on to win the Academy Award. Now please take a minute to think about Mariah Carey potentially performing at the Oscars, considering “The Star” might be on an Academy Awards path. Deep breaths.
Ansel Elgort, Jezebel darling, is nominated for Best Performance in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy, for Baby Driver. And elsewhere in the world of babies the animated movie The Boss Baby is up for Best Motion Picture, Animated. And Christopher Plummer, who you might remember was hastily cast and inserted into Ridley Scott’s All The Money In The World after Kevin Spacey initially acted in the role, is somehow up for Best Performance By an Actor in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture.
The television categories are less surprising, with plenty of the usual suspects like The Crown’s Claire Foy, The Handmaids Tale’s Elizabeth Moss, This Is Us’s Sterling K. Brown, and Outlander’s Caitriona Balfe nominated for Best Performances in the Drama categories, just to name a few. New shows SMILF and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel landed Best Television Series, Musical or Comedy nominations, as well as Best Performance awards in that category for both lead actresses Rachel Brosnahan and Frankie Shaw (who also created SMILF), respectively. Insecure only got one nomination, for Issa Rae’s performance, which is criminal.
And I’ll just say it, the Best Performance category for an actress in a limited television series is stressing me out:
If I left out your favorite category or you’re just dying to confirm that Jude Law was nominated for his performance in The Young Pope after being robbed at the Emmy’s (he is and he was), you can check out the full list of nominations here. Congrats Ansel Elgort!
- Golden Globes 2019 Nominations: 8 Biggest Snubs
- 'The Conners' Golden Globes Snub Does Not Have Fans Laughing
- 'The Ranch' Fans Eagerly Counting Down to Part 6 Despite Golden Globes Snub
- APNewsBreak: Mariah Carey, N.W.A. up for Songwriters Hall
- ‘Cats’ Will Compete for Golden Globes After All (EXCLUSIVE)
- Cats starring Taylor Swift WILL be eligible for Golden Globes despite rumors it would not be finished on time for the nomination deadline
- Golden Globes Nominations Spark Controversy Over Not Acknowledging Any Female Directors
- Will the Golden Globes Reward A-Listers (When Emmys Didn't)?
- Lady Gaga celebrates her three Grammy nominations for A Star Is Born soundtrack on social media
- Let’s Predict the 2020 Grammy Nominations
- SNUBBED! Lisa Wilkinson, Karl Stefanovic, Carrie Bickmore and Waleed Aly all miss out on prestigious Gold Logie nominations... as lesser-known names receive nods
- Lady Gaga Breaks Silence on Bradley Cooper's 'A Star Is Born' Oscars Snub
- 2020 Grammy Nominations: The Snubs and Surprises
- Congratulations ! Ali Fazal, Anupam Kher's films land Oscar nominations
- Grammy nomination SNUBS: Taylor Swift does not get Album Of The Year for Lover and Maren Morris' Girl is ignored while Halsey is shut out
- Gayle King fans concerned after she struggles through Grammy nominations with croaky throat: 'You don't sound very well'
- Bebe Rexha looks chic in a sleek black pant suit as she leaves CBS Morning after announcing Grammys 2020 nominations
- Ariana Grande and Lizzo are moved to tears as they lead stars reacting to Grammy Award nominations on social media: 'We are all winners'
- Lizzo, Billie Eilish and Lil Nas X top 2020 Grammy nominations
- Emmy Snubs & Surprises: ‘Big Bang Theory’, Julia Roberts, & Richard Madden Left Out In The TV Academy Cold; ‘Schitt’s Creek’ Strong
Jordan Peele Snubbed, Mariah Carey Nominated for 2018 Golden Globes have 830 words, post on themuse.jezebel.com at December 10, 2017. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.