Ms Marshall had been overweight from the age of ten
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Fay Marshall, 23, was horrified after commuters offered her their seats because her weight – at 21st 5lbs – made her look as if she was expecting.
The criminology and psychology student was so embarrassed that she joined Slimming World, shed five dress sizes, and has now been named Slimming World Woman of the Year.
She had been overweight from the age of ten and as she put on the pounds would use a hair tie to fasten up her trousers because she couldn’t face buying a bigger size.
Before shedding her weight she would typically start the day with four slices of peanut butter on toast, a sandwich, crisps, chocolate bar and a can of pop fizzy drink for lunch and a pizza for tea.
It was a cycle – the bigger I got, the less confident I was about going out with my friends so I’d stay in and secret eat instead
And throughout the day she would munch away on chocolate, crisps and jam tarts.
Ms Marshall said: “It was a cycle – the bigger I got, the less confident I was about going out with my friends so I’d stay in and secret eat instead.
“At school I’d sit on the field in protest in PE lessons and refuse to join in.
“What happened on the tube back in December 2015 – on two separate occasions – was humiliating.
“Having to explain that I wasn’t actually pregnant was bad enough, but I also knew I probably wouldn’t fit in the seat they’d offered me anyway.
Ms Marshall used to have four slices of peanut butter on toast for breakfast every morning
“My confidence hit rock bottom at that point – I’d go to bed early, get up late and I didn’t really leave the house much at all.
“I hated looking at myself in photos and I was sick of never being able to get any nice clothes.”
After seeing how distraught Ms Marshall was, grandmother Pam took her to Charlene Griffith’s Enfield Vineyard slimmers group in north London.
The Middlesex University student began following Slimming World’s Food Optimising eating plan and says initially her nan, who she lived with at the time, did the bulk of the cooking
Ms Marshall added: “Even having Nan with me, I was nervous and scared – I thought I’d be the biggest there.
Ms Marshall said she thought she was destined to be overweight forever before starting her diet
“Everyone was so kind and friendly though, and I can honestly say I’ve never met a negative person there – every week we have a laugh and I’ve made friends for life.
“I always say if I could bottle the feeling I get from my Slimming World group I would, because there’s nothing quite like it.
“I didn’t know how to boil an egg when I started losing weight, so I’d been pretty dependent on takeaways – I usually had at least three a week and I was known to get through a 12 pack of jam tarts regularly too.
“Nan started to show me how to make different meals though and I learned how to adapt the dishes I liked to make Slimming World-friendly versions – now my favourite meal is a lean kebab with wholemeal pitta bread, Slimming World-friendly chips and salad.
Ms Marshall lost five dress sizes after she joined Slimming World
“It’s so easy to prepare and tastes better than a takeaway.”
She now has porridge for breakfast, salads for lunch and swopped fatty snacks for fruit, cereal bars and popcorn.
Ms Marshall has also become more active and now enjoys swimming, pilates and going to the gym.
She and her partner of seven years Mark, who she now lives with, recently went on a hiking and cycling on holiday in Florida, where she wore shorts for the first time in her adult life.
Ms Marshall now weighs just 12st 11lbs and is a size 12, and says her new-found confidence has let her enjoy socialising again.
She has even signed up for a sky dive to celebrate achieving her target weight.
Ms Marshall has been named Slimming World Woman of the Year
Ms Marshall, who works part-time as a receptionist alongside her studies, said: “Before, whenever I walked into a room I would feel as though everyone was looking at me and thinking ‘wow, she’s a big girl’.
“Now I can walk into any room standing up straight and with my head held high.
“I always thought I was destined to be overweight forever, but I’ve changed my destiny and if I can do that I believe anyone can.
“And I definitely don’t have to worry about anyone offering me a seat on the tube because they think I’m pregnant anymore – while that usually means I have to stand, it’s a pretty good feeling.”
Breakfast: 4 slices of white toast spread with butter and peanut butter
Lunch: Pre-packaged sandwich, crisps, chocolate bar and a sugary fizzy drink
Dinner: Takeaway, such as pizza or chicken burger
Snacks: Sweets, chocolates, crisps, jam tarts
Breakfast: Overnight oats – porridge oats layered with lots of frozen berries and quark
Lunch: Couscous or pasta salad, or ‘pizza’ omelette with salad
Dinner: BBQ pulled pork with cabbage and green beans, or homemade kebab with a wholemeal pitta bread, Slimming World-style chips (baked in the oven in low calorie cooking spray) and salad
Snacks: fruit, high-fibre cereal bars, popcorn, small bar of chocolate or Twister ice lolly
- Weight loss: Man lost 3.5st in 12 weeks with easy diet plan ‘100 percent recommend!’
- Catherine Tyldesley shows off incredible 8st weight loss journey with throwback snap of her as a teenager
- Rebel Wilson 'wasn't loving herself' before 1,500 calorie a day diet and 5st weight loss
- The Chase's Mark Labbett stuns fans with 10 stone weight loss - how did he do it?
- The Chase's Anne Hegarty weight loss: How The Governess lost a stone
- Family loses big and wins even more with £1million turnover and 15 stone weight loss
- Weight loss drug 'game changer' as participants lose nearly three stone
- Lenny Henry wows with weight loss on Comic Relief: 'The best I’ve ever seen you look!''
- 3 Best Weight Loss Pills & Diet Supplements Of 2021
- Weight loss: Eastenders’ Adam Woodyatt shares fitness regime to stay slim
- Catherine Tyldesley shares incredible throwback to highlight weight loss journey
- X Factor’s Honey G looks unrecognisable after weight loss and dramatic transformation
- Rebel Wilson looks more incredible than ever as she flaunts weight loss at football game
- Steph McGovern says she's 'dropped a dress size' in weight loss journey 'I’m working hard'
- Philadelphia’s Police, Fire Departments Start ‘Battle Of The Badges’ Weight Loss Competition
- I'm a Celeb's Jacqueline Jossa showcases weight-loss as she slips into a mini-skirt
- Kriti Sanon says sudden weight loss-gain 'not a healthy thing to do'
- Dancing On Ice's Ashley Banjo saved brother Jordan's life twice in weight battle
- North Korea's Leader Kim Jong Un Has Lost Weight. Here's Why the World is Interested
- Jordyn Woods Says Criticism About Her Weight 'Completely Broke' Her
Weight loss: Size 22 student loses EIGHT stone after being mistaken for being pregnant have 1304 words, post on www.express.co.uk at November 7, 2017. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.