MEXICO CITY (AP) — Lewis Hamilton is driving his name toward the top levels of Formula One’s record books. The final word on his standing among F1’s greatest drivers is still to come, but with four championships, he’s made a strong argument he belongs among the very best. Hamilton won his fourth career championship Sunday with his ninth-place finish at the Mexican Grand Prix. A tough race didn’t produce the podium celebration he wanted, but clinching the title with his lowest finish of the season and two races to go defined a year in which he fought off an early challenge from Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel . This championship, along with his first in 2008, should quiet some of those who argue Hamilton is F1’s master of good fortune, a driver who won titles on the strength of a car no one outside the Mercedes garage could match. “It’s been a long journey these past 10 years,” Hamilton said. “It’s crazy to think I continue to put the Hamilton stamp, the Hamilton name, in the history books. Beyond my time there will be kids that know the name, and that’s probably what I’m most proud of.” Hamilton’s 2017 title ties him… Read full this story
- Mercedes ready to resume Lewis Hamilton contract talks
- Lewis Hamilton and Schumacher share a rare ability, says Ross Brawn
- Six-time F1 champion Lewis Hamilton reveals family rift in emotional Instagram post
- Lewis Hamilton left fearing dual Ferrari fight in quest for fifth World Championship
- Red Bull's Verstappen says he can dethrone Hamilton
- Max Verstappen on F1 2020 title: Lewis Hamilton 'good, but not God'
- F1 2020 launches: What to look forward to as teams reveal new cars
- Max Verstappen targeting Lewis Hamilton in 2020 season
- Ferrari unveil 2020 F1 car in dramatic style at SF1000 launch
- Lewis Hamilton out to silence Monza and wipe smile off Sebastian Vettel's face at Italian Grand Prix 2017
Hamilton's 4th title ranks him among F1's great drivers have 310 words, post on www.nydailynews.com at October 29, 2017. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.