A boy from Kentucky has baffled doctors after falling asleep for 11 days straight for no apparent reason.
Seven-year-old Wyatt Shaw, from Elizabethtown, had fallen asleep on a Sunday night at the start of October following a wedding. The next day his mother, Amy, was unable to wake him, WDRB.com reports.
“It was horrible,” she said. “I tried to wake him up, and he fell back to sleep,” “(I’d say), ‘Wyatt, Wyatt, Wyatt!’ And he fell back to sleep again.”
Wyatt was taken to the Norton Children’s Hospital where he stayed asleep for another 10 days. Doctors carried out numerous tests to work out what was wrong, but the results all came back clear. “They said, ‘we’ll probably never know, but we’re just going to treat him now with rehab to get him better,'” Shaw said.
To bring him out of his slumber, doctors used drugs normally used for treating seizures. After waking up, Wyatt had trouble walking and talking but his condition is improving and he understands what happened to him.
Sleep is normally regulated by our internal biological clock—the discovery of which recently won three U.S. scientists the Nobel Prize in Medicine . It is thought sleep is needed to rest and restore the brain and countless studies on sleep deprivation show the negative effects going without sleep can have on the mind and body.
The World Record for the longest period someone has gone without sleep is Randy Gardner , who managed 264.4 hours (11 days 25 minutes). Over this period, physicians saw serious cognitive changes, reporting problems with hallucinations, paranoia and his short-term memory.
While there is no official record for the longest time spent asleep, there are several syndromes that impact the sleep-wake cycle. These include narcolepsy, rare neurological condition where a person can suffer from “sleep attacks” where they fall asleep without any warning, and Kleine-Levin Syndrome , which is characterized by excessive amounts of sleep.
The latter disorder normally affects adolescents and episodes can last for weeks or even months. During these periods, normal day-time activities stop and the sufferer sleeps for most of the time, often only waking to eat and go to the bathroom.
- 'Life or death still possible': 31 days at my dad's virtual bedside
- Baskets actor Hagen Mills, 29, kills himself in Kentucky home after shooting mother, 34, of his four-year-old child in failed murder-suicide – just days after he was released from jail for rape, kidnap and sodomy
- Three children infected with mysterious illness linked to COVID-19 describe range of symptoms including rash, leg pain and diarrhea - as Gov Cuomo says he believes current 120 cases in New York could be 'the tip of the iceberg'
- Little girl, six, is diagnosed with leukaemia hours after her mum took her to the doctors because 'she looked pale'
- Baskets star Hagen Mills, 29, ‘kills himself after shooting mum of his daughter, 4, days after jail release over rape’
- Covid test farce continues as parents of two teenage boys with symptoms of 'inflammatory syndrome' are among 'thousands' sent 'useless' kits with no barcodes or even a return address
- Boy, 8, who was 'tortured to death by his mother and stepfather had BB pellets lodged in his groin and lungs, a cracked skull, two missing teeth, burns to his body and three broken ribs' when he died
- Overworked and mistrusted: Russia's medical workers risk their lives with little applause
- Britain's forgotten serial killer: UK's longest-serving inmate who brutally murdered 11 people - including a grandmother and a priest - is secretly moved to an open prison... and could soon walk FREE
- 'Straight-Up Fire' in His Veins: Teen Battles New COVID Syndrome
- Mum's panic as son 'had convulsions and scarlet fever from mystery child syndrome'
- Coronavirus: 'Baffling' observations from the front line
- Off-duty doctor delivers baby boy at 35,000ft after mum goes into labour halfway through 8-hour Air France flight
- Boy, 15, is left using a wheelchair after forgetting how to walk due to amnesia triggered when he suffered extreme pain following a routine operation to remove two ingrown toenails
- The coronavirus outbreak has hit Britain's ethnic minority doctors hardest. Experts aren't sure why
- EXCLUSIVE: 'He is our miracle': Premature baby boy born eight weeks early caught COVID-19 but became one of Britain's youngest to beat the virus after being treated with experimental Ebola drug remdesivir
- Killer and rapist who's shocking Boxing Day crime shattered four generations of the victim's family is RELEASED from jail - with 59 strict conditions attached to his parole
- Can the High Street hold out? Market towns like Southwold are the backbone of Britain. Today, they lie almost deserted. And, as these shopkeepers tell HARRY WALLOP, every day of lockdown makes survival harder
- Anorexic student Averil Hart, 19, starved to death after ‘series of shocking failures by doctors who deleted emails to cover up mistakes’
- Jennifer Dulos Case: New Updates As Mystery Remains Unsolved
A boy from Kentucky fell asleep for 11 days straight in a medical mystery baffling doctors have 788 words, post on www.newsweek.com at October 18, 2017. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.