Actor Nelsan Ellis, best known for his memorable portrayal of Lafayette Reynolds on HBO’s “True Blood,” has died at the age of 39.
Ellis’ manager, Emily Gerson Saines, confirmed the actor’s death in an email Saturday. The Hollywood Reporter, which was first to report Ellis’ death, quoted her as saying the actor died from complications of heart failure.
The Illinois-born actor, who studied at Juilliard, played the role of Lafayette, a gay short order cook, on the HBO drama from 2008 to 2014, and more recently appeared in the CBS detective series “Elementary.” He also was a playwright and a stage director.
Ellis appeared as Martin Luther King, Jr. in Lee Daniels’ “The Butler,” and as singer Bobby Byrd in the James Brown biopic “Get On Up.”
He also appeared in “The Help,” and his castmate Octavia Spencer mourned his death on Instagram. “My heart breaks for his kids and family,” the actress wrote.
On Twitter, some fans posted one of his more famous scenes as Lafayette, where the character marches out of the kitchen to confront some bigoted diners.
HBO released a statement saying the network was “extremely saddened” by Ellis’ death.
“Nelsan was a long-time member of the HBO family whose groundbreaking portrayal of Lafayette will be remembered fondly within the overall legacy of ‘True Blood,’” the statement read. “Nelsan will be dearly missed by his fans and all of us at HBO.”
“True Blood” creator Alan Ball called Ellis “a singular talent whose creativity never ceased to amaze me. Working with him was a privilege.”
In a 2012 TV interview in Chicago, Ellis recalled that it took four auditions for him to nail the role of Lafayette. At first, he said, he was playing the role as a caricature, and was told to “go back to the drawing board and figure it out.”
He then began to channel his mother. “Once I started to act like my Mama, my fourth audition, I got the part,” he said.
Born in Harvey, Illinois, Ellis attended Thornridge High School, where he credited teachers with instilling the craft of theater in him. He later attended Juilliard in New York City.
- True Life star Charlie Balducci passes away 'unexpectedly' at age 44 after rising to fame as groom on I'm Getting Married episode
- 'The love he and my mum created stays on forever': Sophie Ellis-Bextor reveals her 'funny, smart and solid' stepfather John Leach has died
- Sophie Ellis-Bextor pays tribute to her step-dad after his ‘cruel’ death and says he was ‘funny, smart and solid’
- ‘Racism kills’: Hundreds protest after Black actor shot dead in Lisbon
- Heaven's Gate cult ended in 39 suicides as 'castrated' followers ate poisoned apple sauce
- ‘Walking Dead’ Showrunner On Tonight’s Pseudo Finale, COVID-19, Season 11, & Going Urban In Stay-At-Home USA
- Coronavirus is NOT less deadly than it once was: Study debunks claims the disease has weakened over time — and says the death rate has barely changed
- SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE: Lucy Boynton’s in rhapsodies over lockdown love with Oscar-winning actor Rami Malek
- Travolta's tragedy: It reads like a big-screen tearjerker - a first true love who died suddenly and the loss of an adoring young son. Now, as he mourns his wife following her death at 57, TOM LEONARD looks back at John Travolta's tumultuous life
- Johnny Depp 'threw 30 bottles at me like grenades': Amber Heard claims actor severed his finger while attacking her after she took his vodka and smashed it on the floor in Australian mansion
‘True Blood’ actor Nelsan Ellis dead at 39 have 588 words, post on www.philstar.com at July 9, 2017. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.