German business daily “Handelsblatt” reported in its Monday edition that the military arm of plane maker Airbus had started preparations for building a new European fighter jet. Airbus Military chief Fernando Alonso said in Toulouse that the company was currently working on some components for the jet at its locations in Germany and Spain, with funding coming from the respective governments “and hopefully other players in the future.” As the EU executive aimed to define a joint foreign and defense policy in the 28-member bloc, Airbus said it would definitely make sense to drastically reduce the number of different weapons systems with a view to enhancing efficiency and ultimately saving costs. Read: Airbus presents flying car Pan-European super jet? The plane maker noted that several nations, including Germany and Spain required new air defense systems mid-term, and a new integrated approach towards a pan-EU fighter jet combining the capabilities of drones, satellites and reconnaissance planes would be useful, Airbus argued. Alonso told the “Handelsblatt” there was no room for two to three different defense systems in Europe, adding that he hoped to convince the French governments and domestic companies such as Dassault of the need to participate in the program…. Read full this story
- F-16 Fighter Jet Crashes in Michigan, Pilot's Status 'Unknown'
- Pakistani fighter jet spotted close to LoC in Poonch
- Lockheed Martin reveals it has been secretly testing 'supersonic' laser turret for fighter jets
- Indian Navy wants to join IAF in fighter jet shopping
- Wisconsin-based military pilot is missing after crashing F-16 fighter jet during routine training mission in Michigan
- Korea's Fighter Jet Project Up in the Air Again
- U.S. Adamant on Fighter Jet Technology
- ‘Lair’ of Vietnam’s ‘King Cobra’ fighter jets – P6: Young, aspiring pilots
- U.S. Refuses to Transfer Key Tech for Fighter Jet Project
- U.S. Denies Opposing Korea's Fighter Jet Project
Airbus eyeing new European fighter jet have 309 words, post on www.dw.com at June 12, 2017. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.