Now playing: Watch this: Windows 10 S defaults to Microsoft Edge browser 1:24 Correction, May 4, 2017: It’s free for schools to upgrade from Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Pro. May 2, Microsoft held an event to launch a new education-focused version of its Windows 10 operating system that can run on ultracheap laptops . Windows 10 S is a locked-down version of Windows 10 Pro: Microsoft made it crystal-clear that you can only install apps from the Windows app store on Win 10 S systems, and that if you want to breach its walled garden you can upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. But the company also went out of its way to say that you could use third-party web browsers (like Chrome and Firefox), but that you’d get a better experience with its own Edge browser . In light of The Verge’s discovery — simply by looking at the Windows 10 S FAQ — that you can’t change the default from Edge, or even change the default search engine from Bing, that now strikes me as a seriously disingenuous tactic. From the FAQ: Microsoft Edge is the default web browser on Microsoft 10 S. You are able to… Read full this story
- Microsoft kills Windows 10 update that ‘deleted’ users’ files – did you download THIS version?
- Five new features you might see in the latest Windows 10 update
- Use Windows 8? Microsoft is making a terrible change that affects all 45MILLION users
- Microsoft's new Surface Go lets you work well on a budget
- Microsoft’s Bing and Yahoo are showing users racist and ‘ILLEGAL’ paedo image results
- Price of Microsoft Surface laptops slashed to lowest price ever
- Xbox Elite Controller 2 LEAK: More updates on Microsoft's NEW premium Xbox One pad
- Microsoft Surface Book 2 review: The 2-in-1 powerhouse gets 15-inch upgrade
- Facebook Portal revealed – what we know about Zuckerberg’s ‘smart’ camera that FOLLOWS you around home
- Amazon’s Alexa can guess what you’ll forget
Windows 10 S locks default to Edge and Bing. What's Microsoft teaching us? have 302 words, post on www.cnet.com at May 4, 2017. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.