US Air Force fighter jets escorted an American Airlines plane into Honolulu, Hawaii, on Friday after a passenger disturbance on the flight.
The FBI did not immediately disclose the nature of the incident, but local CBS and NBC affiliates reported Friday that a passenger on American Airlines Flight 31 was detained after trying to breach the cockpit.
Crew members on Flight 31 and an off-duty police officer restrained the man aboard the flight which originated from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), the reports said. Flight 31 landed safely in Honolulu at 11:35 a.m. local time. No injuries were reported.
Federal authorities were preparing a criminal complaint to charge Turkish national Anil Uskanil, 25, with interference with a flight crew, FBI special-agent-in charge Paul Delacourt said at a Honolulu news conference, Reuters said.
Local news outlets said the man had “breached” security at LAX but was allowed to board the plane. It was not immediately clear what the circumstances of that breach were, but the news outlets, citing unnamed sources, said once Flight 31 departed, the man allegedly “tried to break through the cockpit door.”
Delacourt, when asked by a reporter if Uskanil tried to break into the cockpit, said the Turkish man was in the aisle of the plane and it was “unclear what his motivation was.”
Witnesses on Flight 31 told NBC News correspondent Gadi Schwartz that the passenger had a shirt over his head and did not make it past the first-class section of the aircraft. “Flight attendant blocked aisle, man taken down,” Schwartz wrote.
American Airlines said in an emailed statement to Business Insider:
“This unfortunate incident highlights the tremendous professionalism of American’s team members, and specifically, in this situation, our flight attendants. Their decisive actions ensured the safety of everyone onboard the flight. We are proud of our crew and are grateful to them for their actions.”
- Air Force fighter jet intercepts small plane near Trump's N.J. golf course
- 'Agressive' US Passenger Starts Fight On KLM Flight, Fighter Jets Escort Plane
- Air Force fighter intercepts plane near Trump NJ golf course
- US F-15 Fighter Jet Crashes In Japan, Pilot In Serious Condition
- MH370 Conspiracy Theory: Fighter Jet Intercepted Missing Plane, New Claim Suggests
- American Airlines Passenger Removed From Plane For Over-Sized Cello, Despite Following Rules
- Watch: American Airlines Passenger Brawls After Being Refused Beer By Flight Attendant
- American Airlines Sued For Overserving Drunk Man Who Sexually Assaulted Woman
- American Airlines jet makes emergency landing in Chicago after ‘cockpit fills with smoke’ in midair
- Israel Mocks Iran For Touting ‘Advanced, Indigenous’ Fighter Jet That Seems to be 1950s American Plane
- Iran Showcases First Domestic Fighter Jet to Mark Army Day
- Watch: Iran Showcases First Domestic Fighter Jet to Mark Army Day
- Israel Says First to Use F-35 Stealth Fighter Jets in Combat
- UK grounds £120m F-35 fighter jets as investigation launched into faulty fuel tube that caused US crash
- What happened to flight MH370, what’s the latest news on the Malaysia Airlines plane and is the search still going?
- Trump reportedly wants a bigger bed and to repaint Air Force One to look 'more American'
- Watch: Russian Fighter Jet Intercepts US Navy Aircraft Over Black Sea
- Qantas Flight Forced to Turn Around Due to 'Hyper Aggressive' Passenger Who May Have to Pay $130,000 Cost
- US firm pitches ‘budget’ jets for Swiss air force
- Hungarian air-force may police Austrian skies
US Air Force fighter jets escorted an American Airlines plane into Hawaii after a passenger disturbance have 540 words, post on www.businessinsider.my at May 20, 2017. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.