The UK is set to reap the whirlwind of climate change with the huge damage caused by wind storms expected to increase sharply, according to new analysis. Even the minimum global warming now expected – just 1.5C – is projected to raise the cost of windstorm destruction by more than a third in parts of the country. If climate change heats the world even further, broken roofs and damaged buildings are likely to increase by over 50% across a swathe of the nation. The research shows all of the UK is on track to see rises in high winds except the south and south-west, with the greatest impact across the Midlands, Yorkshire and Northern Ireland. This is because the main storms that barrel in off the Atlantic are expected to move their track northwards as the planet warms, a phenomenon linked to the rapid melting being seen in the Arctic. Flooding is the most high-profile impact of climate change on the UK. But the overall cost of wind storms is actually higher, as a result of a much larger number of smaller incidents, and currently runs at an average of about £1bn a year. Extreme wind storms can occur, though,… Read full this story
- The UK faces 32 DAYS of bad weather with snow and ice over Christmas period – see how you’re affected
- How UK residents can play Mega Millions lottery after world record $1.6bn win
- UK growth to rise in third quarter but summer boost cools off
- Russian, Indian Scientists Worried About Sharp Rise in Autism
- Storm Adrian hits for Halloween as Hurricane Oscar threatens fireworks washout
- Energy bills jump 21% in five months leaving millions facing fuel poverty this winter
- Brexit added £2bn to UK energy bills in year after referendum, report claims
- Super Typhoon Hagibis, packing winds up to 150 mph, may afflict Tokyo
- UK weather ‘danger to life’ warning issued as floods set to batter Britain – but how will you be affected?
- UK weather ‘danger to life’ warning issued as floods and power cuts set to batter Britain – but how will you be affected?
UK faces sharp rise in wind storms and higher bills as world warms have 335 words, post on www.theguardian.com at May 16, 2017. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.