A three-legged cat adopted by a Cambridge University library is being used to help relieve students’ stress during the exam season.
Jasper, a five-year-old ginger tom, belongs to the deputy librarian at the Marshall Library of Economics.
He became a hit with students after his owner took him to work, and a recent “tea with Jasper” event attracted 140 moggy-lovers.
Similar events are planned as Jasper is now the library’s “official mascot”.
Jasper lost his left hind leg in a car accident and was abandoned by his owners. He was adopted by deputy librarian Simon Frost from a rescue centre.
While the cat is well-behaved on university premises, spending his time browsing the shelves and sleeping on copies of the Financial Times, Jasper is more adventurous on his home turf.
“He’s bouncy like Tigger, because he has three legs, and he’s a bit unstable when he moves slowly – so he goes everywhere at speed,” Mr Frost said.
Jasper also likes to climb trees, “but he can’t get down”, he added.
Librarian Clare Trowell said: “Students coming to visit and pet Jasper told us just how much he’d calmed them down, and helped relieve any stress.
“Many of them were missing their own cats or other pets.”
Jasper now has his own hashtag – #economicscat – and frequently makes announcements about the library on social media.
There is also a university ” cat club ” on Facebook, where students who are missing their pets can share photos of them with other cat lovers.
Related Internet Links
- Funny Things We Do Under Exam Stress
- Study Tips To Deal With Exam Stress For Kids
- Exam Time: 8 Amazing Ways To Relieve Anxiety
- 8 Surprising Tips To Do Better At Exams
- Spiritual Tips For Students To Score Well In Exams
- How To Help Your Child Prepare For Exams?
- University entrance exam from 1895 is ‘proof we are being dumbed down’
- My story: What do we fear most about the board exams?
- 10 Yoga Poses For Stress Relief
- New Research Says That Pets, Music And Nature Can Help Relieve Stress
- International Yoga Day: 7 Yoga Poses For Relieving Stress
- CAT topper's success mantra: Focus. Speed. Accuracy
- Ancient Egyptian 'cat mummy' preserved in French museum has three tails and five hind legs and is made up of the parts of several cats, CT scans reveal
- Devika writes a success story with legs
- PET TALK: Eating your greens: The basics of cat grass
- HSC without exams provides alternative pathway through high school
- How Much Will You Spend For Your Cat's Surgery?
- Emma Roberts runs errands in stripy top and wide-leg jeans with frayed hems in Beverly Hills
- 11 Effective Home Remedies For Leg Pain
- Do Therapy Dogs Suffer from Stress When They Are Working?
University's three-legged cat 'relieves exam stress' have 506 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at April 9, 2017. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.