I picked up hitchhikers all summer. Here’s what happened. This story begins June 30, 2016. Pennsylvania builder Bruce Henn finished Regular Car Reviews’ project car “The Vagabond Falcon,” a 1960 Ford Falcon four-door running on a 1993 Fox-body driveline. My job was to put miles on the Vagabond Falcon and gently break it in with a mix of city and highway driving. I picked up hitchhikers to do this. The hitchhikers were all Appalachian thru-hikers; modern monks walking the approximately 2,200-mile long trail from Georgia to Maine. The Appalachian Trail passes through Pennsylvania near Bruce Henn’s Garage in the adjacent town of Port Clinton. Port Clinton is an old canal and railroad town near the intersection of Pennsylvania Route 61 and Interstate 78—approximately four hours west of New York City (by car) and two hours northwest of Philadelphia. Port Clinton has one main street about one-third of a mile long, and about five cross streets only 100 yards long. Its local economy includes: One rail yard One barbershop One bar One volunteer fire company One soda vending machine located in a resident’s front yard, and One high-end BMW motorcycle dealership attracting wealthy out-of-towners zooming around town on $18,000 touring bikes… Read full this story
- Alone on the Appalachian Trail: Alexa Ringer's six-month journey from Georgia to Maine
- Mercantile Library: 2 local teachers share their epic summer adventures
- A trail way of life
- Scouting the Rio Grande Trail: America's next great adventure?
- Las Cruces man hikes nascent Rio Grande Trail
- FOOTBALL: Atascocita, Summer Creek clash for first place in District 22-6A
- Volcano native completes Pacific Crest Trail having come close first before
- Bote Mountain trail reopens to hikers near Cades Cove
- Adjustments coming for Portland Trail Blazers after summer tinkering
- With outdoor recreation tourism booming, towns pick up the tab for squeezed US Forest Service
The Summer I Spent Picking Up Hitchhikers On The Appalachian Trail have 292 words, post on jalopnik.com at April 20, 2017. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.