LEON, Mexico (AP) Matt Atkins won the El Bosque Mexico Championship on Sunday for his first Web .com Tour title, closing with a 4-under 68 for a three-stroke victory.
Atkins finished at 17-under 271 at El Bosque Country Club and earned $117,000 to jump from a tie for 87th to sixth on the money list with $127,625. The top 25 at the end of the regular season will earn PGA Tour cards.
”I don’t even know how to put it in words,” said Atkins, the 26-year-old former South Carolina-Aiken player from Aston, Pennsylvania. ”It’s just such an honor to win in general. The fans were great and I love coming here. Just to be the champion feels awesome.”
Colombia’s Sebastian Munoz was second after a 70. Ted Potter Jr. (66), Roger Sloan (67) and Austin Cook (67) tied for third at 13 under, and nine-time PGA Tour winner Stuart Appleby (69) was another stroke back.
Atkins birdied three of the final five holes Saturday to take a one-stroke lead over Munoz into the final round. On Sunday, the winner closed his bogey-free round with a birdie on the par-5 18th.
”I’m excited for the rest of the year,” Atkins said. ”This puts me in a really good spot. I still have a ways to go to lock up my card and I want to finish as high on the money list as I can. This is awesome, but there is still plenty of work to do.”
- El Chapo: what the rise and fall of the kingpin reveals about the war on drugs
- Michael Bloomberg climate agenda pushed by privately funded New Mexico prosecutor
- Grondahl: 'Brooding hottie' Matt Dillon in middle age
- Can Mexico Finally Overcome A 24-Year World Cup Curse?
- 'El Chapo' defense lasts 30 minutes and calls just one witness
- Mexico: brazen daylight shootout turns Guadalajara into war zone
- Lib Dems could win hundreds of seats in election, says Swinson
- US fentanyl crisis could end opium era in Mexico: 'the only crop that paid’
- How Chobani’s Hamdi Ulukaya Is Winning America’s Culture War
- Moffett Wins Thrilling Jim Walsh Cork Forestry Rally
- Serena Williams 2 for 2 at Wimbledon; wins in singles, mixed
- Another Track Championship For Fennewald
- Trump says Mexico is an 'abuser' of the US, amid tariff negotiations
- Doylestown Rugby High School Girls Win State 7s Championship
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Mexican Grand Prix, But Waits For Sixth Title
- WoO Late Models Starting 2020 In New Mexico
- Dragon Wins Battle, Corliss Tops Thunder Road War
- 'It's hotter than Mexico!': Tourists and commuters bake in 94F heat on the Tube as roads melt in the African plume heatwave - with the worst still to come with highs of nearly 100F by Thursday
- Michael Phelps Sets Tone for Rio Race With Blistering 200m Fly Win
- Eves Back To Winning USF2000 Form In Wisconsin
Matt Atkins wins El Bosque Mexico Championship (Apr 30, 2017) have 447 words, post on www.foxsports.com at April 30, 2017. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.