A LITTLE boy froze to death on the porch after he wandered outside his home into howling winds while his parents slept.
Three-year-old Landyn Melton was discovered by someone walking past his house in Burke County, North Carolina, on March 15 – the day after his birthday.
Cops believe he sneaked out while his mum Jamie Basinger and dad Bradley Melton were asleep and the door slammed behind him.
The temperature that night was 20 degrees, but the wind chill factor was below zero.
Officers suspect the youngster died from hypothermia but no official cause of death has been released.
An obituary said Landyn loved to pretend to mow the lawn with his toy lawnmower.
Police said the parents were asleep when it happened.
Burke County Sheriff Steve Whisenant told WSOC: “When you come to a tragic situation like this, it is always heartbreaking for everybody involved, including the officers investigating the case, so our prayers go out to all the families.”
Neighbour David Barrier tearfully said: “Just to hear what happened, it’s just a tragedy.
“We’ve been praying for the family and hope things work out for them.”
Another neighbour, Pat Williams, added: “Being a grandmother and a great grandmother, it has touched me greatly.
“I’m sorry for everybody, and the whole community is praying for everybody.”
In November an elderly couple in their 70s were found lying dead side by side outside their island home after reportedly freezing to death.
The bodies of Morag and Donald Macmillan were discovered together on the steps outside their home on Gravir on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides.
- Second 14-year-old boy arrested over murder of schoolboy Keon Lincoln, 15, ‘stabbed and shot’ in ambush attack
- Police arrest man, 51, for MURDER after manhunt for hit-and-run driver who deliberately ploughed into children outside Essex school killing 12-year-old boy and injuring five
- Shot and stabbed to death just yards from home: Boy, 15, is 'killed by 14-year-old’ near his house on suburban road after paramedics battled to save his life in front of horrified neighbours
- 45-year-old man tests positive for coronavirus in Nagpur
- Killed by a Russian bomb, a five-year-old visiting relatives in Syria
- Witness heard 'seven minutes of desperate screams' on night 21-year-old student Libby Squire 'was raped and murdered in park by Polish butcher'
- 74-year-old man helps Saigonese cope with floods by clearing canals
- 'Nuns treated 11-year-old rape victims as if they were prostitutes': How schoolgirls were among 56,000 mothers sent to hellish Irish homes where 9,000 babies died and bodies were buried in shoeboxes - as survivors slam 'cop-out' report
- Kidnappers killed my 6-year-old daughter, cut off her head — Distraught father
- Butcher 'stalked' Libby Squires before 'intercepting' her on street: Father, 26, accused of murdering and raping 21-year-old 'patrolled' student area and 'identified' her as 'target', court hears
- Victim of remote learning: 16-year-old takes his own life and leaves note saying he felt 'locked in the house' after his classes moved online as his mom says 'I just lost a son because he couldn't be with his friends'
- UK weather forecast LIVE – London FLOOD alerts as Beast from the East’s snow moves on to heavy rain & rivers burst banks
- Britons brace for the big freeze this week as arctic blasts bring snow and -10C temperatures making the UK even colder than ICELAND
- UK weather forecast LIVE – Beast from the East brings chaos as Britain braces for freezing temperatures and blizzards
- Chicago Weather: Snow Showers Next Few Days
- Amanda Gorman Geeking Out Over James Corden Won Late Night This Week
- In the bleak mid-winter! Britain is gripped by freezing fog as Met Office issues ice warning after temperatures plunged to -12C
- Brace for six inches of snow: Met Office issues new warning for Sunday as -10C big freeze grips Britain after parts of the country were blanketed by the white stuff this morning after days of flood misery
- UK flooding – Flood-hit Brits plunged into -10C freeze with 10cm of snow as they’re warned ‘the danger has not passed’
- Winter wonderland returns: Britain faces up to a foot of snow over 40 hours from tomorrow and freezing rain as temperatures fall to -12C with Beast from the East II threatening severe cold snap next week
Three-year-old boy freezes to death after wandering out of his house in the middle of the night during sub-zero weather have 689 words, post on www.thesun.ie at March 31, 2017. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.