SKIERS in Slovakia were left stranded for more than three hours in freezing temperatures after a chair lift broke down.
Temperatures plummeted to minus 11 degrees Celsius when the lift broke down at the tourist ski resort of Zavazna Poruba in northern Slovokia at New Year’s.
A total of 90 freezing skiers were sat abandoned in the lift for three hours until Mountain Rescue Service and fireman could launch a rescue mission.
Rescuers used a rope to get them off the lift before transporting them on snow scooters back to the resort where paramedics were waiting.
A number of skiers were children but emergency services said only one woman was badly injured and was transported to the nearby hospital in Liptovsky Mikulas, suffering from suspected hypothermia.
Rastislav Maslonka from the SKI Opalisko in Zavazna Poruba said: “The chair lift got stuck due to a failure of the electric device.
“This is the first time ever that anything like this has happened at our resort.”
When the chair lift first failed, staff asked skiers to be patient and wait for it to be repaired, believing it would be a quick fix.
They were not able to make it work again so emergency services were called and the skiers had to abseil down.
The rescue took about two hours.
One of the stuck skiers said after the rescue: “I was shaking and my feet were freezing, but mainly I was suffering because I really need to go to the toilet.”
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368
- 3 Men Who Might Actually Break the 2-Hour Marathon Barrier In 2017
- Camargo's pinch-hit HR in 10th lifts Braves past Nats 4-3
- How A Place Where It's Dark 18 Hours A Day Helped Push Away One Woman's Darkness And Depression
- Avoid an Ice Fishing Injury With These Pro Tips
- Here’s What Happens To Your Penis In a -140 Degree Chamber
- Buried Alive!
- 101 Ways to Stay in the Game
- Digital Nomad Survival Tips You Can Use Anywhere
- How to Stop Hair Breakage Naturally
- Global Warming's Effect on New England's Maple Forest
- Dimon, Zuckerberg, Obama, Bezos, And More: Memorable Quotes Of 2013
- Find the Best Winter Jacket for the Slopes
- In The Eye Of A Hurricane—Literally
- The Domino's Effect
- Father-Daughter Duo Goes On Tesla Roadtrip, Gains Support
- At least they picked their tents up! Campers leave pockmarked field after Glastonbury ends as droves begin clean-up of sea of bottles and food waste despite festival going 'plastic-free'
- Forget Shark Week: Researchers Tag N' Track Great Whites
- 6 Unforgettable Adventure Vacations to Take In 2016
- 4 Steps to a Safe Workout
- Monthly Garden Calendar for Pacific Coast South United States
Skiers are stranded for more than three hours in sub-zero temperatures in Slovakia after their chair lift breaks down have 440 words, post on www.thesun.ie at January 2, 2017. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.