Barack Obama entered the White House in early 2009 on the back of a promise of hope and change. But how successful has his presidency been? Sky’s editors and correspondents give their views. Foreign Affairs By Sam Kiley, Foreign Affairs Editor Barack Obama’s tenure began with great hope. Of an intelligent reset of international relations largely deformed by neoconservatives behind the disastrous invasion of Iraq and the long war in Afghanistan. He was a disappointment. His allergy to foreign intervention resulted in a non-strategy on Syria and a general reluctance to throw the weight of his office behind burning issues of the day. Advertisement He failed to understand that policy must be driven by how the world is, not how he wished it would be. Like David Cameron, he failed to understand that policy must be driven by how the world is, not how he wished it would be. Legacy By Dominic Waghorn, Diplomatic Editor More from UK COVID-19: Queen urges people unsure about coronavirus jab to get vaccinated Scotland: Nicola Sturgeon accused of damaging Scotland’s institutions to ‘save her own skin’ COVID-19: UK reports another 323 coronavirus deaths and 9,985 cases – as first jab count tops 18.6 million… Read full this story
- Relatives break down in court as second jury fails to reach a verdict on crash death of girl (15)
- Donald Trump reverses course on trophy hunting, reimposes Obama-era ban
- Inquiry launched into real fur being sold as fake after Sky News investigation
- ‘David Cameron thought Obama was 'narcissistic, self-absorbed'’, states Steve Hilton
- Ofcom set for High Court battle over Sky-Fox ruling
- Could you pass the mental test Trump took?
- Federal government shuts down after Senate talks fail
- Crude bucket nail bomb designed to kill dozens on Tube may have failed to fully detonate due to faulty timer
- November release set for highly anticipated Michelle Obama memoir
- US government shutdown looms as Trump fails to strike a deal
Pass or fail? Sky News experts give their verdicts on Obama's era have 312 words, post on news.sky.com at January 20, 2017. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.