IRELAND is set to be hit with snow and sub-zero temperatures this week.
The early stages of the week are set to be mild, with temperatures of 5-12 degrees Celsius expected on Monday and Tuesday.
However, Met Eireann have predicted a ‘bitterly cold’ Wednesday night, particularly in the North, with strong and gusty northwesterly winds expected to bash the country and temperatures set to plummet to -1C.
Hail, sleet and snow can be expected in the North as early as Wednesday but won’t arrive in the South until Thursday morning.
A Met Eireann forecaster said: “Wednesday will see scattered showers about Atlantic coasts that will penetrate further inland overnight, turning increasingly wintry with hail, sleet and snow possible.
“There will be temperatures of -1 to +2 degrees.
“Wednesday night will see very cold air coming in from the Northwest, making for an extremely cold Thursday morning.”
People in Connacht and Ulster are being warned to expect tough conditions later in the week with snow and bitter temperatures expected.
A forecaster said: “Thursday will see frequent showers, some heavy with a risk of hail, sleet and snow possible to low levels, mostly across Connacht, Ulster and north Leinster.
“There will be very cold conditions with afternoon temperatures struggling between 1 and 4 degrees. Showers will continue through Thursday night with widespread frost and ice.”
Early signs suggest that Friday and Saturday will be slightly milder, with snow mostly restricted to high ground.
Things are expected to settle on Sunday with milder temperatures and dry weather predicted to end the weekend.
- UK weather forecast: Fresh onslaught of snow, ice and floods to batter Britain
- UK weather forecast: Snow and wintry showers to hit Britain as temperatures fall below average
- Maybe this will keep people inside! Mini 'Beast from the East' brings -8C plunging temperatures and even SNOW in South East as British Summer Time begins
- UK weather forecast: Snow, ice and floods to strike before temperatures hit sunny 12C
- UK weather forecast: Britain to plunge to -4C as Arctic plume brings snow and ice
- UK weather forecast: Met Office says snow, hail and thunder on cards before -3C freeze
- UK weather: Heavy snow hits UK bringing school closures and commuter chaos
- UK weather forecast: Temperatures to plummet to -4C as Arctic blast and snow hit Britain this weekend
- UK weather forecast: Lockdown Brits to enjoy 20C ‘mini-heatwave’ this weekend after cold snap, Met Office says
- 2 storms take aim at Bay Area: Here's when the rain will hit
- UK weather forecast: Met Office warns -5C freeze to hit TONIGHT as temperatures plunge after balmy 18C sunshine
- UK weather forecast – Heatwave set to see Britain as hot as Corfu with sun and 20C temperatures
- UK weather: 'Danger to life' flood warnings and more snow on the way
- UK weather forecast: Brits to brace for hay fever havoc as 20C mini heatwave brings soaring pollen count to south east
- UK heatwave: Extraordinary temperatures 'could break records'
- Senior Government official admits 15-minute coronavirus antibody tests are still being evaluated as manufacturer warns it could take them SIX WEEKS to have any kits ready for Britons to use
- Could UK coronavirus deaths be lower than feared? If Britain follows China's trajectory, only 5,700 not 20,000 are expected to die and the peak will be a week on Sunday, experts say
- 'Get out now': Police tell locals to evacuate Ironbridge as River Severn rises to record high and puts barriers on brink bursting - while groundwater threatens to flood basements of London homes
- Midlands records a higher coronavirus death toll than London in one day with 212 deaths compared to 127 as the rest of UK including Yorkshire starts catching up with the capital
- Ironbridge holds its breath: Residents of Shropshire town evacuate over fears flood barriers will buckle overnight - after defences failed 22 miles along the River Severn at Bewdley
Met Eireann forecasts ‘bitterly cold’ conditions as snow and sub-zero temperatures are set to hit this week have 625 words, post on www.thesun.ie at January 9, 2017. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.