an op-ed for The New York Times, Buzzfeed News editor-in-chief Ben Smith defended the outlet’s decision to publish in full an unverified document making highly salacious claims about Donald Trump, saying the traditional rules of journalism needed to be changed.
Smith disagreed with those who argued that CNN was justified in alluding to the memo, but they were unjustified in publishing it. “That halfway position ran contrary to how we think of our compact with our audience: You trust us to give you the full story; we trust you to reckon with a messy, sometimes uncertain reality,” he wrote.
Smith denounced other media outlets for “retreating to traditional reporting procedures of ostentatious, and sometimes false, balance and voice-of-God authority. Their theory is that the media can confront power by engaging in a theater of traditional journalism and proving their purity and incorruptibility — in short, hew to the same rules that got them steamrollered in 2016.”
“This retreat is dangerous. Instead, we need to develop new rules that adhere to the core values of honesty and respect for our audience…” he argued. “Sometimes, it means publishing unverified information in a transparent way that informs our users of its provenance, its impact and why we trust or distrust it.”
[Image via screengrab]
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]
- Russian tycoon wins suit against model who claims Trump secrets
- Bernama Director underlines professional journalism, press agencies’ prestige
- Trump admits son met with Russian to get information on opponent
- US China trade war fears escalate as threats ramp up
- United passenger launches legal action over forceful removal
- EVENTS SCHEDULED FOR MAY 20-31
- Social News Headlines 8/5
- WHAT'S ON SEPTEMBER 15-30 (DAILY UPDATE)
- Art & Entertainment News 26/4
- Australia concerned about China’s muscle flexing in East Sea
Buzzfeed’s Ben Smith Defends Publishing Unverified Trump Memo, Calls for ‘New Rules’ of Journalism have 296 words, post on www.mediaite.com at January 23, 2017. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.