Broadway star Billy Porter and his longtime partner Adam Smith said “I do” this weekend — and while they were only engaged for 16 days, their big day was nearly eight years in the making!
The performer and his husband first met at a dinner with mutual friends in February of 2009, shortly after Smith moved to New York City from Los Angeles.
“I sat next to Billy,” says Smith, 35, co-owner of the eyewear company Native Ken. “I found out later that wasn’t by accident!”
Indeed, Porter spotted his future husband en route to the restaurant in N.Y.C.’s Hell’s Kitchen neighborhood and clandestinely made his move.
“I was cruisin’ him as he walked up the street, and he stopped, and he was with us!” the actor-musician, 47, recalls. “I was like, ‘Oh, well, I’ll be sittin’ next to this handsome specimen tonight!’”
And that chance encounter was the beginning of a tight-knit bond they’ve shared ever since.
“We kind of were enamored with each other from the beginning,” says Smith. And with that, the pair began dating for a year—before they split.
“We were both sorting things out,” Porter recalls. “The first time we were dating, we were just, like, ‘hanging out,’ and all of a sudden, we realized, ‘Oh, it’s been seven months; that’s more than just hanging out!’ But because we weren’t conscious of it, it kind of imploded.”
While the pair split in 2010, they remained close friends over the years, and their connection was always present.
“I remember saying to my therapist, ‘Now I know what love looks like, and it just walked out the door,’” says Porter. “I didn’t know what it looked like before, and it was after that that I realized: ‘Oh, s—, that’s the one that got away! But now that I know what it looks like, the next time it shows up, I will be ready.’ I didn’t realize it was gonna show up as the same person — but I’m grateful that it did!”
Porter and Smith were always in each others’ lives, and Smith — who called off their relationship — even says, “We almost acted like we were boyfriends at times.” But the husbands-to-be didn’t rekindle their romance until two years ago.
“It had been marinating within me, my love for him and figuring it out and coming to terms with it, over the years,” Smith says. “So I knew that it was on me if I wanted to ever change anything, I would have to be the first one to approach the subject; so I was trying to figure out the right time to do it.”
As it turns out, the perfect timing came in 2015 on Smith’s birthday, after enjoying brunch and seeing Hamilton at the Public Theatre, where “Billy reached over and held my hand, and I was like, ‘Yeah, I’m gonna tell him today,’” Smith says.
So after the show, on their drive to dinner, “I felt it, and the tears came, and I pulled over, and he said, ‘I love you, and I’ve always loved you, and if there’s any chance, I would like another shot — I would like us to have another shot at this,’” Porter remembers. “He was the one that got away — so it wasn’t hard. The yes came easy and immediately!”
The decision to propose seemingly came just as easy. But deciding on how Porter would pop the question took a little more time.
“I had been planning it since late-September, early-October, just trying to figure out how to do it,” the star, who won a Tony Award for originating the character of Lola in Kinky Boots, says. “I understand that I am not the most romantic person, and that has been illuminated in terms of our relationship and how we’ve been trying to be present for each other, and conscious. So when I started thinking about this, I was beginning to ask friends who were in relationships, like, ‘How should I do it? Should I do it here, should I do it there?’ And they were like, ‘You need to create a story to tell; Adam is going to want a story to tell!’”
Well, the happy couple got their fairytale engagement story on Dec. 29, during a double date with friends while on vacation in the U.K.
“I secretly set it up with in London, and we went to a restaurant that was on the 42nd floor overlooking the skyline,” Porter says. “The plan was we’d eat dinner, I would go to the bathroom, I would come back and propose, and then dessert would come. Dessert ended up coming too quickly, but I had planted the seed with [our friends] earlier in the evening, when I asked them to tell their story about how they met; they did, for me to be able to then tell our story and, at the end of it, I said, ‘And with that…’ and I pulled out the Cartier ring!”
Shortly after the proposal, Porter and Smith decided they wanted to wed before President-elect Donald Trump‘s engagement, under President Barack Obama‘s administration, which has championed LGBT rights and marriage equality.
“We felt like, with everything that we’re gonna have to fight for coming up, the unknown that we’re going into, we want to be married doing that,” says Porter, who exchanged vows with Smith — who planned the wedding — two weeks later in front of 45 guests at a close friend’s Manhattan penthouse. “We want to be doing that side-by-side, in every single way.”
As the newlyweds will face some unknowns, there’s at least one thing they’re not expecting as they look forward to the rest of their life together.
“I have nine nieces and nephews,” says Smith.
“And my sister’s trying to have a child,” Porter adds.
“We love children! But I think we’re gonna be guncles,” says Smith.
Even so, “We’re talking about possibly getting a dog!” says Porter.
- Maura Higgins says she’s ‘so close’ but ‘just friends’ with married Dancing On Ice partner Alex
- Oscars 2019: Billy Porter ‘wins’ the red carpet in stunning Cinderella tuxedo dress – and Twitter is loving it
- Sheridan Smith, 37,is forced to deny she has married her fiancé Jamie Horn, 28, after causing confusion by referring to him as her 'hubby'
- Mom-of-four dumps husband for pole dancer she met in online game Second Life who she had a virtual wedding and baby with - and now they're married in real life
- Kieran Hayler reveals divorce from Katie Price is just 'weeks away'... after 'getting engaged to girlfriend Michelle Penticost during Maldives holiday'
- Behati Prinsloo Felt 'Helpless' Due to PPD — but Husband Adam Levine Was 'Incredibly Supportive'
- How I'm Living Now: Billy Porter, 'Pose' Star
- Rachel Bilson Is Sorry If You're Still Hurt by Her Breakup With Adam Brody
- Shia LaBeouf packs on the PDA with ex Mia Goth... as the pair continue to rekindle their love two years after filing for divorce
- Billy Joe Saunders causes outrage after ‘showing men how to hit women’ during coronavirus lockdown before apologising
- Will Smith Recalls Baby Making Moments in Sweet Tribute to Wife Jada – and His Kids Listen in Too!
- Wells Adams Proves He's a Keeper After Removing Sarah Hyland's Hair Extensions
- Here comes the bride! Bindi Irwin MARRIES Chandler Powell in a stunning outdoor ceremony – just hours before coronavirus restrictions limit weddings to five people
- Imprisoned 'Tiger King' star Joe Exotic is 'over the moon' to be famous, directors say
- 'Last couple' to marry in the UK before the lockdown reveal how they were forced to wave to their grandparents through the window and eat alone on a disinfected park bench
- Carol Vorderman, 59, says it's 'sad' people focus on 'how big my bottom is' instead of her career and reveals she's NOT open to finding love
- 'Hello! Legs open!' Michelle Keegan risks FLASHING 6K fans as she scolds husband Mark Wright for filming her in a robe for Instagram live video
- How we stay together: 'If a problem came up, it had to be solved straight away'
- 'So insincere!' Married At First Sight fans unleash on Steve Burley, 52, after he failed to admit to 'wife' Mishel Karen, 48, that his ideal partner is aged 'mid to late 30s'
- 'It wasn't something I lost sleep over!' TOWIE's Amber Dowding says she didn't pay attention to ex Chris Clark dating Jesy Nelson... and that 'you can't compare' the two of them
Billy Porter Says Husband Adam Smith 'Was the One That Got Away' Before They Rekindled Their Romance and Got Married have 1434 words, post on people.com at January 18, 2017. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.