A MAN, who is 6ft 7in tall, is set to go on trial accused of driving while standing up – but he claims it’s just because of his height.
Adam Elliott denies driving his silver convertible Ford KA in Gateshead and across the Tyne Bridge while on his feet.
The 25-year-old claims he had the top down on the car at the time of the alleged incident on the A184 Felling bypass and over the A167 in Newcastle.
He appeared at Newcastle Crown Court in January last year where he pleaded not guilty to dangerous driving.
Elliott explained he was delivering it to a buyer in Newcastle — but cops said he was distracting other motorists.
Speaking last year, he said: “My head was crammed too low to see with the roof on so I put it down.
“I got a lot of attention and had a laugh waving at people who tooted their horns at me. But I wasn’t a danger.”
His case was due to be heard before a jury at Newcastle Crown Court today but was adjourned until Tuesday.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368.
- Truck driver who knew he had faulty brakes when he slammed into a hero cop and killed her is sentenced to four years behind bars
- 'I'm in a good place now because he was put in prison!' Rose McGowan claims Harvey Weinstein is 'faking' hospital stint as he's 'too scared' of general public
- Netanyahu defiant as he arrives for start of trial
- The future of McDonald's: £25 limit per car at drive-thrus , plastic screens at counters and staff getting daily temperature checks - as fast food giant announces 975 branches will reopen next week
- Netanyahu says he has been framed as corruption trial starts
- The Secret UX Issues That Will Make (Or Break) Self-Driving Cars
- Experts Say Bill Cosby Will Have To Face The #MeToo Music At His Retrial For Rape
- Dominic Cummings REFUSES to apologise and has NOT offered to resign for breaking lockdown to drive 260 miles to Durham without PM's permission - despite admitting he DID go to bluebell woods and Barnard Castle to 'check if he felt better'
- Pressure mounts on Priti Patel to come clean about 'vicious campaign' to oust Home Office's top civil servant after he QUIT in stinging attack: Permanent Secretary Sir Philip Rutnam accuses Home Secretary of lying, swearing and belittling staff
- Rhys Jones's killer is pictured for the first time since he was jailed for shooting dead the 11-year-old in 2007, in photo taken on illegal jail mobile and sent to 'girlfriend' on the outside
- FMIA: ‘Just Figure It Out, Bro’—How The NFL’s Most Challenged Team Is Handling Distance Learning Reality
- EDEN CONFIDENTIAL: Postie trapped in huge sinkhole on Royal estate as he tried to deliver a letter to Prince Edward and his wife Sophie
- Government mobility chart reveals spike in online searches for walking and driving directions after Sadiq Khan 'misses his target of providing 75% of Tubes with only 50% of services running'
- Lots of Noise, Three Cases, and One Prime Minister: Benjamin Netanyahu Trial Kicks Off in Jerusalem
- Man accused in death of 12-year-old after police chase says he didn't hit boy; new details emerge
- Chaos on the forecourts? Nearly 8,000 petrol stations could shut after 2,000 Unite fuel drivers vote in favour of strike
- Moment driver crashes after 100mph police chase with baby unfastened in back seat
- BREAKING NEWS: Donald Trump says he would 'SHUT DOWN' Twitter if he could as he signs executive order against 'anti-conservative bias' on social media and claims it is 'a threat to freedom itself' – but won't delete his account
- Lag who stalked Emily Maitlis for 25 years faces trial for ‘sending letter to her mum’
- As Biden gives commencement address, Columbia Law faculty who opposed Kavanaugh downplay Tara Reade accusations
6ft 7in driver to go on trial accused of driving while standing up – but he says it’s just because he’s tall have 632 words, post on www.thesun.ie at January 23, 2017. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.