A MUM has been arrested after her two-year-old son was left inside a car overnight in sub zero temperatures.
The little boy, who is getting treatment for hypothermia and frostbite, was abandoned in the motor in Thornton, Colorado, in the US, which has been gripped by icy winds, bitter weather and snow.
He was discovered on Saturday morning by police in the car which had been left overnight in a car park.
Breanna Sanchez who works at a nearby business told KDVR she thought it was odd the vehicle had not moved.
The car was covered in several inches of snow, so she wasn’t able to see the toddler inside.
Sanchez said: “I can’t imagine staying in a car overnight. I’m freezing just standing here.”
The Thornton Police Department arrested the boy’s mother Nicole Carmon, 26, from Westminster, on suspicion of child abuse.
They estimated he had been in the car for around seven hours.
Sanchez said police and ambulance came to rescue the tot as soon as it was reported he had been left in the vehicle: “We just saw a bunch of cop cars and a bunch of firemen and ambulance and stuff, and we didn’t quite know what was going on but … it’s very upsetting.
“I feel terrible for the kid. I feel really bad that he sat there all night. Really, it’s terrible.”
Police spokesman Matt Barnes said they had been looking for a 2013 green Ford Fusion that might have been involved in a crash.
He said cops found the car in the car park around noon with the toddler inside
Emergency responders took him to hospital where he has been getting treatment for hypothermia and frostbite.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368
- Freezing conditions cause death and chaos across Europe
- SAS deaths: The savage beauty of the Brecon Beacons
- The life and death of Samuel Fischer
- Chinatown is a GHOST Town: Coronavirus panic leaves London's Chinese district almost empty after first confirmed case of deadly bug in the capital
- Stacey Solomon shows off son’s Jurassic Park-themed packed lunch – but fans say it’s an ‘overwhelming amount of food’
- From chilling ‘deep freeze’ murder to mum torched in a churchyard, the terrifying unsolved crimes that time forgot
- HOURS of misery in coronavirus lockdown at Heathrow: Passengers tell how family of eight from Malaysia were screened off by staff in hazmat suits aboard one of EIGHT flights quarantined simultaneously
- State of disaster is declared in Victoria as NSW enters seven-day state of emergency ahead of horror 46C conditions on Saturday when strong winds are expected to spark worst bushfires yet - as death toll rises to 18
- CCTV shows missing Gannon Stauch, 11, looking ‘sluggish’ as he leaves home with STEPMOM before vanishing
- Killer Australian father 'punished his wife if she didn't have sex with him and made her wear tights so she wasn't too provocative' during years of abuse before he burnt his family to death, says friend
- Desperate hunt for missing Colorado boy, 11, who vanished after leaving home to visit a friend’s house SEVEN DAYS ago
- 'Cruel and pitiless' lesbian killers who Googled 'Can wives be in prison together?' are jailed for life for battering two-year-old Liam Fee to death – but they WON'T be in the same prison
- Night fever: Glastonbury revellers kick off festival's first evening with record temperatures forecast during a scorching weekend
- Grieving mum warns ‘police should pay’ after ex-cop’s rapist son was let free hours before he murdered daughter
- Ex accused of ‘murdering’ sex therapist Amie Harwick had broken into her apartment BEFORE and taped 48 flowers to door
- Brits are the LAST to leave coronavirus cruise ship: 74 British Diamond Princess passengers are STILL waiting for rescue as hundreds more foreigners are airlifted to safety
- Brisbane car fire: The violent obsessive men who control, kill women
- New Zealand volcano death toll rises to 16 as recovery team struggle to find two bodies still missing on island
- Chilling crime scene pics show inside house where gun maniac Derek Connell murdered mum and stepdad in US bloodbath
- British coronavirus cruise couple's family reveal quarantined pair are struggling with their mental health in Japanese hospital and slam online trolls who accuse them of 'milking it' as third Diamond Princess passenger dies
Mum accused of leaving son, two, in car for SEVEN HOURS overnight to ‘freeze to death’ in sub-zero temperatures have 715 words, post on www.thesun.ie at December 19, 2016. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.