The zoo has cancelled its free-flying bird demonstration, its walk-through areas and has moved its chickens inside away from children as a precaution.
The penguin enclosure and rocky pool beach is still open for visitors and the penguins are not affected by the outbreak.
UK bird keepers have been told to keep them inside for a month.
The government’s chief veterinary officer declared a Prevention Zone on Tuesday to protect poultry from a highly infectious strain, H5N8, which has hit farms and wild birds across Europe.
ZSL London Zoo said: “We have stringent measures permanently in place to ensure our animals remain healthy.
“None of the birds at ZSL London Zoo have been affected.”
No UK cases have been detected in the latest outbreak.
Amey Evans, who keeps chickens in Rainham, Kent, said: “This is major. It’s a deadly virus, it will wipe out your whole flock.”
- Egypt reports bird flu outbreaks in rural area
- China Reports First Human Case of H10N3 Bird Flu
- Modern Zoos Are Not Worth the Moral Cost
- Flu vaccine shortage 2020: Will the flu jab run out this year?
- Moscone West to reopen for business - as homeless shelter - during coronavirus outbreak
- Killer Flu
- China reports first known human case of H10N3 bird flu
- China confirms first human case of H10N3 bird flu: report
- Is a new bird flu the next pandemic?
- Birds, bugs, invasive plants and beaver endure along Denver’s polluted South Platte River
- Zoo Animals and Their Discontents
- Flu jab: How long does it take for immunity against the virus to develop?
- China Has a New Strain of Bird Flu to Worry About
- Eight LIONS test positive for Covid-19 at an Indian zoo in the first case of its kind in the country
- Zoos Called It a ‘Rescue.’ But Are the Elephants Really Better Off?
- Why is the Bay Area seeing more critters now? Because we're home to see them
- SF General nurses, doctors argue hospital's understaffing will hurt efforts to handle coronavirus outbreak
- Canadian Police Say Muslim Family Targeted in Deadly Truck Attack
- Canadian police say Muslim family targeted by deadly attack
- Bay Area orders 'shelter in place,' only essential businesses open in 6 counties
Bird walk-through area at London Zoo closed after deadly avian flu outbreak have 374 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at December 8, 2016. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.