‘Clearly, from the Indian viewpoint, the US retrenchment from Asia cannot be happening as good news.’ Part I: The world in the era of Donald Trump Photograph: Spencer Platt/Getty Images The best part about Donald Trump’s foreign policy will be that the gathering storms on the horizon presaging a New Cold War — or worse still, a war between the United States and Russia — are about to disperse. The two theatres where the easing of US-Russia tensions will manifest will be Ukraine and Syria, which seemed intractable conflicts that, some feared, might even draw the two big powers even into a nuclear war. However, the main difference could be that while Ukraine problem can be settled between the US and Russia — with Europe heaving a sigh of relief — that may not be the case with Syria where there are multiple regional players pursuing their own agenda and working at cross purposes. Besides, the US’ capacity to influence the regional players — especially Turkey, Israel, Iran and Saudi Arabia — is in serious doubt. That alone makes it virtually impossible for Trump to isolate America from the Middle East. The region is in a shambles, too. Trump has… Read full this story
- Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier had to be separated on ‘Good Morning America’ set
- Replica of schooner America set to begin epic tour
- NHL World Cup of Hockey: North America Set to Make Debut
- Migrant caravan: Hundreds of Hondurans set off on new trek
- North America wins first Team Challenge Cup
- Feet of Clay: Tennis in Latin America may flee the surface
- Boxer Tran Van Thao set to fight for WBO Oriental Youth Title
- Should America emulate Australia in football?
- Asia Cup shifted to UAE over India-Pakistan cricket row
- Badminton Asia Championships 2018: Saina Nehwal, PV Sindhu ease into second round; Kidambi Srikanth, HS Prannoy survive scares
A distracted America is set to pull back from Asia have 306 words, post on www.rediff.com at November 14, 2016. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.