AN UBER driver who punched a woman in the face and called her a “black c***” has dodged jail.
Taleka White, a 27-year-old paramedic, had never used an Uber before her terrifying experience.
She was dragged from the car and hit twice in the face before being verbally abused after Shahab Akbar flew into a rage.
The 33-year-old driver became angry after confusion over Taleka and her friend asking to be dropped off in different places.
She was left with a lump on her head, bruising to her face and a bloody wrist and knuckles.
After she reported the attack the case went to trial and Akbar was found guilty of racially aggravated common assault.
He was handed a 16 week prison sentence suspended for 24 months yesterday.
Speaking shortly after the incident on November 29 last year, Taleka, said: “Just one night out has led to a whirlwind of events which he has no concept of.
“It happened in the early hours of the morning – about 3am.
“My friend and I had been to a bar in East Croyden and we wanted to get home.
“I’d never used Uber before so she called for one on her phone.
“She wasn’t sure how to use the app to say that we wanted to be dropped off at different addresses – but we thought we’d explain it to the driver when he arrived.
“When we ordered it – my friend couldn’t see the registration number – but she thought nothing of it and assumed there was a problem with the system – just his face and the route on the map came up.
“She got a call from the driver to say he’d arrived and we got in the cab and explained we wanted to go to different addresses.
“Initially he had no problem with it, but after, as he was driving to the address he became quite agitated.
“There was a misunderstanding about where the address was and then we got near and she said he could pull up there and he started yelling ‘get out of my f***ing cab’.
Akbar continued to drive and Taleka tried to reassure him that her stop was less than 20 minutes away and that he would be paid, but his language became increasingly aggressive.
Taleka said: “He called me a black c*** and a black ‘b****’ and told me to shut my ‘f***ing face’ and said ‘she gave me the wrong address’.
“I just went quiet and I thought maybe staying silent would diffuse the situation.
“I was in the cab alone with him and my battery on my phone had gone at the end of a long day. I wasn’t sure what he was going to do. He continued to drive in the right direction so I just stayed quiet.
“I was being dropped off at my parents’ and when we arrived I had a can of coke in one hand and a kebab in the other. But when we arrived he dragged me out of the car by my right arm and punched me in the face.
“My drink went everywhere but I used the car to hold myself up. I was yelling, asking him what his problem was, why he was doing it to me, hoping my parents would hear from inside.
“The second time he punched me, I went flying and hit the pavement.
“My mum came out just to see the car driving away and found me lying on the pavement.”
She took pictures of her injuries and went to A&E.
After the attack was reported Uber suspended Akbar and has since confirmed he no longer has a private hire licence which is needed to work for the firm.
An Uber spokesperson said: “We were appalled by this horrific incident. Uber does not tolerate violence or discrimination of any kind.
“We assisted the police with their investigation and immediately stopped this licensed driver from being able to use our app.”
At Croydon Magistrates Court on Tuesday Akbar was ordered to carry out 200 hours of unapid work as a community on top of £620 in costs and £115 in victim surcharge.
He was also ordered to pay £500 in compensation to Taleka.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368.
- Defense attorney claim Uber driver shot passenger out of self-defense in trial of 2018 shooting
- #RidingWhileBlack: Former Teen Vogue Editor Says an Uber Driver Assaulted, Called 911 on Her
- Jurors to decide if Denver Uber driver killed passenger in self-defense
- A study of Uber drivers found that workplace flexibility may not close the gender pay gap
- Group calling on Uber drivers to go offline causing 'unnecessary unrest'
- Lawyer: Uber driver killed passenger in self-defence
- Do Uber Drivers Discriminate Racially? A Study Says Yes
- Lawyer: Uber driver killed passenger in self-defense
- A Denver Uber driver says he shot and killed his passenger in self-defense. Now a jury will decide whether he’s guilty of murder.
- Uni student, 31, caught drink-driving for the fourth time in three years walks free after saying she drank to cope with abortion
- Arianna Huffington becomes Uber's first female board member
- Peanuts! Uber boss calls losing $5bn in 3 months a sustainable business model
- Uber talks frenemies, synergies and #DeleteUber in IPO filing
- Uber's IPO filing dishes on frenemies, synergies and #DeleteUber
- Can one woman change the way Uber operates?
- What is Uber doing to train its drivers on disability rights?
- Here's how your Uber is learning to drive
- Snapchat, WhatsApp link illegal immigrant smuggling cartels, willing drivers
- Needing Growth, Uber Returns to Germany. This Time on Best Behavior.
- Man Who BBQ Becky Called Police On Runs For Office To Fight Racism
Uber driver who called female passenger a ‘black c***’ and punched her in the face walks free have 944 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at October 19, 2016. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.