A gunman at the wheel of a heavy truck plowed into a crowd celebrating Bastille Day in the French city of Nice on Thursday, killing at least 84 people and injuring scores more in what President Francois Hollande called a terrorist act. The attacker, identified by a police source as a 31-year-old Tunisian-born Frenchman, also opened fire before police shot him dead. He had been known to the police for common crimes but not to the intelligence services, the source said. Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said 18 of the injured were in a critical condition after the 25-tonne truck zigzagged along the seafront Promenade des Anglais as a fireworks display marking the French national day ended just after 10:30 p.m. (04:30 p.m. EDT). The attack, which came eight months and a day after Islamic State gunmen and suicide bombers struck Paris on a festive Friday evening, seemed so far to be the work of a lone assailant. Hollande said in a pre-dawn address that he was calling up military and police reservists to relieve forces worn out by a state of emergency begun after the militant group killed 130 people in the French capital in November. Only hours earlier Hollande…
- Barcelona Attack Live Updates: Van Plows Into Crowd on Famous Las Ramblas
- Friend of Berlin truck attacker in France during Nice attack: reports
- Berlin Christmas market attacker accomplice charged with bomb plot
- ISIS Supporters Celebrate Barcelona Van Attack on Las Ramblas as Police Confirm 'Terrorism'
- Daesh-Inspired Man From Maryland Stole Truck to Ram Into 'Disbelievers' - Report
- Barcelona attack: Hunt for driver who mowed down pedestrians in Las Ramblas, killing 13
- Stockholm Attack Revives Memory of Botched Christmas Bomb Plot in Swedish Capital
- Barcelona Attack: Police Hunt Jihadi Network After Second Attack Foiled in Cambrils
- Le Pen and Macron woo Paris as French election enters final stretch
- ISIS Promises to Kill Drunk People Celebrating New Year's Eve Around the World In First Video From Somalia
Truck attacker plows into French crowd, kills 84 celebrating Bastille Day have 313 words, post on at July 14, 2016. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.