The video shows a barn filled with thousands of birds flapping and jumping around as litres of white foam is poured on top of them.
The chickens can be seen desperately scrambling over each other as the froth creeps closer but the tight confines of the pen means they have nowhere to go.
The technique is said to obstruct the birds’ upper respiratory tract, including the trachea, suffocating them to death.
It should “result in the death of 95% of birds within seven minutes and 100% of the flock within 15 minutes of submergence,” according to United Poultry Concerns (UPC).
UPC reports that the US Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service approved using the method in cases of outbreaks of disease in November 2006.
The Washington Post reports that the only approved method of euthanasia for egg-laying hens is by exposure to carbon dioxide gas, which puts the birds to sleep before killing them.
The method most commonly used for turkeys and broiler chickens involves the use of a water-based foam, which kills the birds within approximately one minute, the newspaper claims.
The above footage was said to have been filmed in Israel in 2014, where the practice is said to also be an acceptable practice of mass extermination of infected birds.
- Bird flu around the world: a guide
- Conservationists appalled at illegal killing of 25m birds a year in the Mediterranean
- Building a better flu vaccine -- one you don't have to get every year
- Hillandale Farms Responds to Hidden Camera Footage Showing Decomposing Chickens at Pennsylvania Egg Farm
- The end of the flu jab? Scientists create a stick-on patch which may protect against the viral illness as effectively as the traditional vaccine
- Revealed: The last 48 hours of couple poisoned by deadly Novichok as police bring in drones and say search for missing canister could take months
- Forced drowning, eyeball invasion and ‘zombie suicide’ – nature’s most terrifying parasites revealed
- Sarin gas used in Syria chemical attack, Turkey's Health Ministry says
- Don't wash your turkey: Culinary pro shares top safety tips to properly handle raw poultry
- Ryan Gosling Slams Costco Over Undercover Egg Farm Video
- Daughter of BTK serial killer who murdered 10 people tells how DNA was unknowingly taken from her pap smear leading to his arrest as she shares letters and drawings he sent her from behind bars which included handmade birthday and Christmas cards
- 17 Holiday Cooking Tips For People Who Want To Avoid Food Poisoning
- Dishonored Diary: Playing through in four different ways
- Adventures in contraception: eight women discuss their choices
- First pictures of haulage boss and his wife arrested on 39 counts of manslaughter over Essex death truck tragedy as police arrest fourth man, 48, from Northern Ireland at Stansted Airport
- Giant killers: The biggest bosses in gaming
- Sir Elton John on partying with princesses and pop stars and cocaine-fuelled blowouts
Footage reveals gruesome FOAM suffocation method used to kill chickens infected with bird flu have 474 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at July 18, 2016. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.