I t was the moment when the dry political arguments about the economic risks and benefits of leaving the EU suddenly became intensely personal.
Speaking before a live audience Michael Gove revealed how he had witnessed first-hand the "misery" caused by Brussels' bureaucrats after their policies led to the closure of his adopted father's family business.
Visibly moved he told how he had watched his father's fish merchant business "going to the wall" as a result of the EU's common fisheries policy.
The Aberdeen-based business had been founded by Mr Gove's grandfather, who in turn passed it on to his father Ernest.
EE Gove and Sons was a thriving concern, employing 20 people to process and smoke fish from the North Sea, including cod and whiting.
But in the early 1980s it went under and was sold as a result, says Mr Gove, of the European common fisheries policy (CFP), which gave access to fishing grounds to boats from other countries and imposed quotas on British fishermen.
Ernest Gove, 79, and his wife Christine, 77, still live in the same neat, three-bedroom, granite semi-detached house in Aberdeen where the MP was brought up.
Mrs Gove, a former lab assistant at Aberdeen University, was tending her front lawn in the sunshine, but said they had strict instructions from their son not to talk to the media.
- Boris Johnson and Michael Gove ‘risk wrecking Brexit’ with Tory leadership plot
- Sajid Javid and Michael Gove blast May's plans to U-turn on leaving the customs union
- Michael Gove may ban farmers from exporting live animals after Brexit
- Brexit: EU to make UK sign guarantee it won’t slash environmental regulations on leaving
- UK businesses make world-first pact to ban single-use plastics
- Exclusive: EU rejects Theresa May's Brexit Irish border solution as doubts grow over whether UK can leave customs union
- Cameron to quit as UK votes to leave EU
- Big fish: The seven largest types of institutional investors
- EU warns fishermen they will need permission to access UK waters in 'no deal' Brexit scenario
- Vote Leave designated as official EU referendum Out campaign
Michael Gove: How the EU wrecked my family's fish business have 350 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at June 4, 2016. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.