Email ABC Radio Perth By Emma Wynne Posted May 17, 2016 16:21:17 Photo: Forrest Place during the 1987 redevelopment. (Supplied: State Library of Western Australia) Related Story: Horseshoe Bridge still a vital cross-city link 112 years on Related Story: Remembering the dangerous charms of Perth’s White City Related Story: Perth’s new $60m library opens at Cathedral Square Map: Perth 6000 A century ago Forrest Place in the centre of Perth’s CBD did not exist, not even as a road.But over the years the space has been transformed from a ramshackle covered marketplace to a central open space in the heart of the city, Richard Offen from Heritage Perth said.Before Forrest Place, the area was occupied by what was known as the Central Arcade.”During the late 19th century shopping arcades became very popular in Perth, mainly for people to shelter from the sun,” Mr Offen told 720 ABC Perth. “The building was a very tall barnlike structure; it looked a bit like a railway engine shed and internally it was like a marketplace.”In 1911 the land occupied by the arcade and the surrounding blocks were bought by the Commonwealth government for federal office buildings. “The idea was to have separate buildings… Read full this story
- World Water Council's Braga: Water crises could be coming to your backyard
- Water and climate change: 'Era of stable abundance is over'
- Germany's coastal lowlands under the shadow of climate change
- Change Management and Talent & Organizational Performance
- Water crisis: Why is Pakistan running dry?
- Climate change report: 'The worst is yet to come' – as it happened
- The women left to face climate change and overfishing alone
- India's water woes: Could special ATMs solve the lack of clean drinking water?
- Water wars: Are India and Pakistan heading for climate change-induced conflict?
- Kuwait's inferno: how will the world's hottest city survive climate change?
From marketplace to water labyrinth: The changing faces of Forrest Place have 298 words, post on www.abc.net.au at May 17, 2016. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.