— — A 13-year-old Arizona boy has been credited with saving his baseball coach’s life by administering CPR and calling paramedics when the man collapsed on the field, suffering what turned out to be a heart attack during practice.
Isaac Wenrich, a minor league baseball player with the Florence Freedom of Kentucky who coaches kids during the off-season, was running drills last month with eighth-grader Nathan Boyer in Chandler, Arizona.
The two were alone on the afternoon of March 28 when Wenrich, 26, collapsed.
“Nate knew to roll me over, he got my phone and called 911, he started CPR,” Wenrich told ABC News today. “I’m beyond thankful. I think the Lord brings people in your life for crazy reasons and he just happened to put Nate in mine.
“There’s not many kids out there like him.” Wenrich, who has been coaching Nathan for two years, said. “He is just such a hard worker with the most amazing personality. He is such a well-rounded 13 year old.
He added: "I wouldn’t be here today if he wasn’t in my life.”
Julie Boyer, Nathan’s mother, said, “Isaac has been a great mentor to Nathan. He moved in the middle of seventh-grade and it was a really hard transition for a kid. Anytime I felt like Nathan was down, Isaac would always give him a pep talk.”
Boyer described her son as determined, humble and hard-working. “He is not your typical 13-year-old. He does everything 110 percent,” she said of Nathan, who who was in school and unavailable to comment today.
Katy Huetter, Wenrich’s girlfriend, said, “Nathan had to do CPR for 4 minutes before the paramedics got there. They said if he didn’t do CPR, Isaac would be dead right now.”
“I never met him but now he's part of our family.” Huetter said today, adding that Wenrich expects to play again this summer. “We want to honor this kid as much as we can; he is a hero.”
- Jealous husband breaks 13-year-old boy’s hand
- Police Identify Alleged Gunman In Shooting Of 13-Year-Old Boy Outside Of Southwest Philadelphia Market
- 13-year-old arrested for allegedly threatening school shooting in Los Angeles
- Tragedy as one-year-old boy dies after being hit by a ute outside a home in Victoria
- Pregnant 13-year-old jumps off roof and kills herself after she was ‘gang raped by six men’ in Thailand
- Incredible before and after pictures reveal staggering transformation of 13-year-old with alopecia after being given a drug to treat ARTHRITIS
- Family plead for witnesses to come forward after their ten-year-old boy is 'deliberately' shot dead in a trailer park
- Horrified mother tells how Snapchat 'predator' claiming to be a modelling agent asked her 13-year-old daughter for revealing photos and said 'can't believe your body is that good'
- Care worker, 27, who had sex with 16-year-old boy she was supposed to be looking after loses her bid to overturn conviction
- 'We expect for Toby to be locked up in his teens': Parents of nine-year-old boy who threatened a child with a knife aged four on the difficulty of living with a violent son
- Mountain Lion Bites Head of 8-year-old Boy, Child Fights Off Animal With Stick: 'I Tried to Get It in the Eye'
- 88 days in captivity: The saga of 13-year-old Jayme Closs from horrific kidnapping to remarkable escape
- Six-year-old boy dies from rabies after being scratched by an infected BAT he found in bucket
- Dwayne Johnson Sings 'Moana' Song in Heart-Melting Video to 3-Year-Old Boy Fighting Cancer
- Good Samaritan Leaves 8-Year-Old Boy Big Surprise After Thieves Steal From His Medford Firewood Business
- Amber Peat: No-one will be prosecuted over death of 13-year-old found hanged
- Birmingham: 13-year-old girl among five teens arrested after machete brawl at cinema
- Oakland cop saves baby’s life with CPR after newborn found not breathing
- Boy, 13, admits shooting dead 14-year-old girl after falsely believing she was pregnant with his child
- 80-year old woman spends half century living alongside the dead
13-Year-Old Boy Saves His Baseball Coach's Life by Administering CPR, Calling 911 have 664 words, post on abcnews.go.com at April 5, 2016. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.