David Cameron and George Osborne were “desperate for power” and petrified of a leadership bid by Boris Johnson, according to the memoirs of a former Liberal Democrat cabinet minister. In an explosive book about his time in the Conservative-led coalition, David Laws claims Cameron agreed to the EU referendum to appease “mad” Tory rightwingers and described his ally Michael Gove as a “bit nuts”. He also said the prime minister was convinced that Johnson “is after my job”. The revelations could heighten tensions between the prime minister and Gove, whose relationship is already strained by their opposition in the increasingly bitter battle over Britain’s membership of the EU. They have also infuriated Eurosceptic MPs on the right of the party who are angry about the way Cameron has attacked those campaigning for Brexit. Many of the stories appeared to have come from party leader Nick Clegg, who revealed the details to his Lib Dem colleague when they were in government. Laws said Clegg felt the prime minister and chancellor would “sell their mothers” to stay in No 10. The former Lib Dem leader even recounted a conversation with the Queen, in a move that could lead to claims of hypocrisy…. Read full this story
- Boris Johnson brands Jeremy Corbyn a 'brainwashed Remainer' and accuses him of being in hock to Iranian 'Mullahs' as he uses fiery first Commons clash to warn Brussels he will TEAR UP the Brexit backstop and 'make Britain great again'
- Boris Johnson's Brexit ultimatum: Transition period WILL end in December 2020 as PM vows to set in it law to scupper EU delaying tactics – after posing with his 109 first-time MPs who won seat in Tory landslide
- Boris Johnson refuses to rule out forcing through no-deal Brexit
- Boris Johnson wife – The PM’s marriages and past relationships in full
- Boris Johnson preparing to unveil plans for UK - after cabinet reshuffle today
- Boris Johnson calls for a snap poll after MPs, including 21 Tory rebels, seize control of Commons to block no deal - and now PM must see off plot by Opposition and Remainers to deny us even a new General Election
- Boris Johnson's shock 'n' awe: How the PM only expected a small majority on election night - before celebrating his huge victory by tucking into a curry made by Carrie Symonds, breaking his alcohol ban and giving David Cameron a 'man hug'
- Boris Johnson's first lady Carrie Symonds, 31, set to take centre stage: Prime minister's girlfriend looks forward to five years in Number 10 after he dropped 'engagement hint'
- Boris Johnson storms home: Exit poll shows Tories WINNING crucial election as voters hand PM a majority to 'get Brexit done' - with Labour's 'red wall' of Leave-leaning strongholds crumbling
- Boris Johnson’s pledge from ruins of Labour’s Red Wall: I’ll take Britain on a 'wonderful adventure' to get its mojo back and 'stand tall' in the world
David Laws: David Cameron 'petrified' of Boris Johnson leadership bid have 481 words, post on www.theguardian.com at March 13, 2016. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.