West Brom striker Saido Berahino looks set to be Newcastle United's new record signing by the time the transfer window slams shut.
Since Mike Ashley acquired Newcastle, transfer windows have become a biannual non-event, with the Toon Army more concerned with keeping their best players than attracting new talent.
In this window, however, the Magpies' hierarchy have loosened the purse strings – outspending almost every other club with the signings of Jonjo Shelvey, Henri Saivet, and Andros Townsend.
Berahino, 22, has been manufacturing a move out of the Midlands since a major fallout with the club last August.
Stoke City are also interested in the forward and it looks as though Mark Hughes' side will be battling United right to the wire.
Newcastle have had at least one £20million-plus bid rejected by the Baggies but, with the club's top-flight future at stake, it would be no surprise if United upped their bid to bring the precocious talent to Tyneside.
Roma's Ivory Coast international Seydou Doumbia is said to be on Tyneside finishing off the paperwork on a six-month loan deal, possibly as a contingency in case the Berahino deal fails.
Other names linked to the club include an unlikely deal for Lyon's Alexandre Lacazette, who wouldn't come cheap and would need convincing it is the right move for the forward.
Swansea's former Toon target Bafetimbi Gomis is also linked – though the striker has failed to set the top flight alight with a record of just one goal every five games for the Welsh club.
Following the sale of Mike Williamson, which has weakened what was last season's worst top-flight defence, you would expect Steve McClaren to be wheeling and dealing for a replacement.
It has been suggested that England defender and Chelsea bench-warmer Gary Cahill wants regular football to boost his chances of being in Roy Hodgson's Euro 2016 squad, but it would be a shock if he moved to Newcastle.
The Magpies missed out on Atletico Madrid full-back Guilherme Siqueira, who opted for Valencia, but Arsenal defender Kieran Gibbs could be an option.
In terms of exits, the club is desperate to see Yoan Gouffran off, while Cheick Tiote has been in protracted talks with Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua.
Following the arrival of Townsend, French winger Florian Thauvin has completed his loan deal with Marseille, ending a disappointing six months on Tyneside.
Moussa Sissoko has been linked with moves away from the club from the minute he grabbed a brace on his home debut against Chelsea and United have form for selling their prized assets at the 11th hour.
For once, United fans should keep a close eye on deadline day as they are in the mix for several players who could secure their Premier League future.
- Newcastle United fans left divided over Kenedy's farewell message as his loan deal ends
- Newcastle United run rule over Croatia star as Benitez makes plans for summer
- Newcastle United yet to receive any approach from West Ham for Rafa Benitez
- Newcastle United set for fresh talks with Rafa Benitez about his future
- Seven times pundits have got Newcastle United very wrong this season
- The 15 most uplifting things to emerge from Newcastle United's 2017/18 season
- Newcastle United's Northumberland Senior Cup heroes of 2014
- Wayne Rooney agrees deal in principle to leave Everton for DC United
- Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 Newcastle United
- Newcastle United 3-0 Chelsea
- Newcastle United briefing: Islam Slimani banned, Pep Guardiola reveals Newcastle letter
- Rafa Benitez predicts on a 'busy' transfer window ahead for Newcastle
- Rafa's right, the transfer record MUST be broken
- Rafa wants 'written transfer guarantees' & Merino's linked away
- Exit number one? Bundesliga club cranking up transfer talk for Stoke City flop
- Wolves close in on £23m double deal, London rivals chase Scottish star
- Bristol City transfer rumours and news LIVE
- 12 potential Stoke transfer targets (or any promotion-seeking Championship club)
- Deal agreed 'in principle' for Rooney to leave
- This is what Bristol Rovers need to do in the summer transfer window
Saido Berahino deal could kick-start crazy transfer deadline day for Newcastle United have 659 words, post on metro.co.uk at February 1, 2016. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.