“I’m not an actor, I’m a [comedy legend/failed SNL writing] star!” With Larry David returning to host SNL tonight, it’s tempting to view it as a victory lap. After all, back in the 1984-85 season, David, having already cut his teeth with some conceptually ambitious work on ABC’s SNL clone Fridays, no doubt thought he’d be able to ply his singular talents on the mothership. Instead, he infamously butted heads with producer Dick Ebersol, who had taken over the show from Lorne Michaels for five years in the ’80s and, notoriously, didn’t get David’s humor at all. (In a move that later became a classic Seinfeld episode, David reportedly quit the show and stormed off in frustration before returning a few days later as if nothing had ever happened.) Indeed, what David most likely took away from his time on the SNL—apart from an acquaintanceship with similarly unappreciated cast member Julia Louis-Dreyfus—was the idea that he was smarter than the suits at NBC. Advertisement But, as evidenced by his performance tonight and his recent appearances on the show, David can afford to be gracious. Apart from the fact that Lorne wasn’t around to incur his legendary wrath back in the… Read full this story
- Does Larry David Deserve $5,000 for Kinda, Sorta Calling Donald Trump a Racist?
- Comedian Shelley Berman, who played Larry David’s dad on ‘Curb,’ dead at 92
- Ryan Fitzpatrick gets Larry David to laugh at Jets camp
- Bernie Sanders and Larry David Were a Lot Better TV Than Trump, Cruz, and Rubio
- Watch: Great White Shark Breaches Water Right Below Researcher's Feet
- Fins great Jim Kiick’s 72nd birthday like the Miami Dolphins 1972 season: Perfect
- Summer Aboard a Boat: The Cheaper Version of a Vacation Home With Way Better Views
- Fisherman Accidentally Catches Great White Shark off Rhode Island Beach
- News 4's sports anchor David Chancellor makes his move to San Antonio mornings
- There he goes again: Cubs' David Bote drills walk-off homer in 3-2 Cubs victory
Larry David lifts all boats on a great have 333 words, post on tv.avclub.com at February 7, 2016. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.