German Chancellor Angela Merkel addresses a joint news conference with Romania’s Prime Minister Dacian Ciolos (not pictured) at the Chancellery in Berlin, Germany, January 7, 2016. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke German Chancellor Angela Merkel promised to respond decisively to assaults on women in Cologne on New Year’s Eve which have stoked a fierce debate about her refugee policies after police said the attackers appeared to be of foreign origin. Some 121 women are reported to have been robbed, threatened or sexually molested there by gangs of mostly drunk men between 18 and 35 years old while out celebrating. Police say they have identified 16 suspects. Cologne’s police chief, under pressure for the force’s handling of the event, has said the perpetrators appeared to be of “Arab or North African” origin. German magazine Focus and newspaper Die Welt said police had found registration papers on some of the suspects, suggesting they had only recently arrived in the country. But authorities have not confirmed that. Merkel, whose support slipped last year when she resisted pressure to impose caps on refugees, insisting Germany could cope with the 1.1 million migrants who arrived in 2015, said the events were “completely unacceptable” and “intolerable”. A TV satellite…
- Extremists Next Door: Fighting Intolerance in Small-Town Poland
- Merkel speaks out in favour of more ambitious EU climate targets
- Ryanair takes legal action to prevent pilot strike
- G20 summit 2019: Trump: Won't be raising tariffs for time being
- EU urges Iran to back down from nuclear escalation
- Far-right motive mooted in German pro-migrant official's murder
- Manfred Weber, a late convert to environmentalism
- China's military warns HK protesters with slick video
- 2020 Democrats start two nights of debates in Detroit
- Who is in the running for the EU's top job?
Merkel promises firm action after 'intolerable' Cologne assaults have 276 words, post on at January 8, 2016. This is cached page on Europe Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.